Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

The problem with the DS

Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 14, 2004 4:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks very
promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this new gaming
device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the late
90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate the
Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as a
compressed Playstation 2.
The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to more than
only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for game makers to
develop for.
A few years ago, the Nintendo 64 was easily beaten by the Playstation,
because of the relative cheap storage system (the almighty CD-rom) and the
more powerful specs of this system.
I'm afraid that this is to repeat itself again when the PSP is released.
Nintendo does a great job in revolutionizing the handheld world; but I'm
afraid Nintendo has to cope with a competition bigger than they've ever
experienced before. With Nintendo's handheld monopoly smashed to
smithereens, simply re-creating a Gameboy Advance isn't enough. I know
Nintendo realises this too, and by integrating the touchscreen and the
fairly fancy chatting capabilities Nintendo dóes show they are capable of
not only cloning their systems, but also revolutionizing them. But my fears
are that after a while, the touchscreen becomes nothing but a gadget; the
graphics become outdated and the game development for this system will be at
a low rate.
Only future will tell what is to happen to this gaming system.

More about : problem

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 6:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Inferno wrote:

> The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
> possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
> more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
> game makers to develop for.


The fact that the PSP playes movies makes it appeal to more than only
gamers, and therefore makes it a more likely choice for game makers?

Ignoring the total lack of logic in that statement, don't count on the movie
capability of the PSP to sell many units. Since we can't transfer any video
we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.

The games themselves will make or break the DS and PSP...
November 14, 2004 8:50:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

The more people buy a handheld, the more games will be produced for this
system.
People might be more attracted to the PSP because of the movie player and
the better graphics, which means that the PSP-sales could exceed the sales
of the DS.
In the end this means that more games will be produced for the PSP and this
might lead to the DS' downfall.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no fanboy of Sony, I even got a pre-order for a DS;
but these were just my thoughts about the next-gen handhelds coming out.

"Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> schreef in bericht
news:GPKld.1134$aG3.114@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> Inferno wrote:
>
>> The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
>> possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
>> more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
>> game makers to develop for.
>
>
> The fact that the PSP playes movies makes it appeal to more than only
> gamers, and therefore makes it a more likely choice for game makers?
>
> Ignoring the total lack of logic in that statement, don't count on the
> movie
> capability of the PSP to sell many units. Since we can't transfer any
> video
> we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
> movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
> movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.
>
> The games themselves will make or break the DS and PSP...
>
>
Related resources
November 14, 2004 8:55:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> schreef in bericht
news:GPKld.1134$aG3.114@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> Inferno wrote:
>
> Since we can't transfer any video
> we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
> movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
> movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.

We'll just watch and see...
November 14, 2004 9:52:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

One thing I would like to see is if any developers decide to make a game for
the DS but for-go the 2nd screen. Basically use it like a souped up GBA with
wireless capabilities and a faster GPU. The other question is if Nintendo
would even allow this. It is possible not to activate both at once, but
Nintendo may have some DS "standards". Anyway, the only reason I mention
this is that there are only so many dual screen style games that developers
are going to want to make. Sure two screens are fun , but it is nice to have
the option ;-)
"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
news:41974ae0$0$8328$1b2cd167@news.wanadoo.nl...
> We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks
> very promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this new
> gaming device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
> It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
> eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the late
> 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate the
> Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as a
> compressed Playstation 2.
> The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
> possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to more
> than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for game makers
> to develop for.
> A few years ago, the Nintendo 64 was easily beaten by the Playstation,
> because of the relative cheap storage system (the almighty CD-rom) and the
> more powerful specs of this system.
> I'm afraid that this is to repeat itself again when the PSP is released.
> Nintendo does a great job in revolutionizing the handheld world; but I'm
> afraid Nintendo has to cope with a competition bigger than they've ever
> experienced before. With Nintendo's handheld monopoly smashed to
> smithereens, simply re-creating a Gameboy Advance isn't enough. I know
> Nintendo realises this too, and by integrating the touchscreen and the
> fairly fancy chatting capabilities Nintendo dóes show they are capable of
> not only cloning their systems, but also revolutionizing them. But my
> fears are that after a while, the touchscreen becomes nothing but a
> gadget; the graphics become outdated and the game development for this
> system will be at a low rate.
> Only future will tell what is to happen to this gaming system.
>
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:28:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
news:41974ae0$0$8328$1b2cd167@news.wanadoo.nl...
> We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks
very
> promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this new gaming
> device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
> It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
> eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the late
> 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate the
> Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as a
> compressed Playstation 2.
> The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
> possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to more
than
> only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for game makers to
> develop for.
> A few years ago, the Nintendo 64 was easily beaten by the Playstation,
> because of the relative cheap storage system (the almighty CD-rom) and the
> more powerful specs of this system.
> I'm afraid that this is to repeat itself again when the PSP is released.
> Nintendo does a great job in revolutionizing the handheld world; but I'm
> afraid Nintendo has to cope with a competition bigger than they've ever
> experienced before. With Nintendo's handheld monopoly smashed to
> smithereens, simply re-creating a Gameboy Advance isn't enough. I know
> Nintendo realises this too, and by integrating the touchscreen and the
> fairly fancy chatting capabilities Nintendo dóes show they are capable of
> not only cloning their systems, but also revolutionizing them. But my
fears
> are that after a while, the touchscreen becomes nothing but a gadget; the
> graphics become outdated and the game development for this system will be
at
> a low rate.
> Only future will tell what is to happen to this gaming system.
>

Regardless of technical specs etc (which although they have a part to play,
rarely determine the winners in these matters - Dreamcast and Betamax to
name but two) the biggest problem the PSP has in it's delay to market.

From the reports I've seen, the DS has been massively pre-ordered and large
scale shortages are predicted (which of course helps with the 'sold out - it
must be good, I want one' brigade). Whether the PSP will be able to make up
the gap from launching later will be the real determining factor in this.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:30:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:<41974ae0$0$8328$1b2cd167@news.wanadoo.nl>...
> We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks very
> promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this new gaming
> device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
> It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
> eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the late
> 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate the
> Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as a
> compressed Playstation 2.


I know it's stupid, but I'm buying the DS to be able to play GBA
games with a backlight. I don't ilke the SP's light and the way it
makes colors dull. Finally, I should be able to play all GBA games as
they actually look in game preview screenshots :)  I haven't even
placed an order for a DS game yet, but will probably get Mario 64 just
because of the fond memories I had of it. And of course, Animal
Crossing and that sci-fi surgery game that I heard Atlus was doing,
when it eventually comes out. Honestly, the release titles for the DS
are somewhat poor aside from Mario 64 and maybe Madden, but that's not
uncommon.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 2:26:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I look mostly for the games that play on a system when deciding on getting a
system. Backward compatibility is a factor as well as the coolness factor.
Mainly games though.

So far In my opinion it looks like the PSP will be mainly the kind of games
that run on on PS2. I ended up selling my PS2 in favor of building a PC, so
that isn't a big selling point for me. So far none of the announced games
for PSP really appeal to me, but we'll see later on. (I'm not faithful to
any one maker of systems) If there were a system that I am faithful to it is
the PC.

Battery life is a concern for a portable system. When I got the Atari lynx I
found that I had to be plugged into a wall outlet at all times. When I had
my laptop the battery would conk out after 2 hours. Even 4 hours would be
pushing it for me. With my Game Boy advance, I've never run out of battery
power while playing. Though battery power is less for the DS it is still
more than enouph to call it 'portable'.

The games for the DS appeal to me. The touch screen brings a new aspect of
play to the table. As a fan of first person shooters for the PC, which all
use the "mouse look" control, the idea of a "virtual mouse" (Using the touch
pad as a mouse to look around and aim) has sold me on the system. (I don't
like using an analog stick to aim. It takes too long.) I just hope they
bring out more than just Metroid Prime Hunters.

Of course, I'll probably get the PSP later on when they have more games that
appeal to me. As for movies: If I get a movie for the PSP, I'll only be able
to watch it on the PSP. I'd have to buy it again just to watch it with
surround sound with my various tvs and computers. And not very many movies
are worth taking on the road. I know, I've taken movies with me when
travelling with my laptop and I didn't feel the need to watch them on the
plane. Now if you can take a UMD and burn it to a DVD, maybe then I'd be
interested.Right now it's not cost effective. Maybe if I can burn all my
MP3s to a UMD then I'd be interested in the "walkman" aspect. But if I
really wanted that I'd get an IPOD that has 12 hours of battery life!! The
only reason I'd get the PSP would be for the games.




"Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message
news:GPKld.1134$aG3.114@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> Inferno wrote:
>
>> The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
>> possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
>> more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
>> game makers to develop for.
>
>
> The fact that the PSP playes movies makes it appeal to more than only
> gamers, and therefore makes it a more likely choice for game makers?
>
> Ignoring the total lack of logic in that statement, don't count on the
> movie
> capability of the PSP to sell many units. Since we can't transfer any
> video
> we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
> movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
> movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.
>
> The games themselves will make or break the DS and PSP...
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.794 / Virus Database: 538 - Release Date: 11/10/2004
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:31:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:52:21 -0600, "Ross" <bluehoney@charter.net>
wrote:

>One thing I would like to see is if any developers decide to make a game for
>the DS but for-go the 2nd screen. Basically use it like a souped up GBA with
>wireless capabilities and a faster GPU. The other question is if Nintendo
>would even allow this. It is possible not to activate both at once, but
>Nintendo may have some DS "standards". Anyway, the only reason I mention
>this is that there are only so many dual screen style games that developers
>are going to want to make. Sure two screens are fun , but it is nice to have
>the option ;-)

I really can't think of any games where you couldn't come up with
SOMETHING to put on the second screen. Even a simple game like
PacMan, you could stick the score and lives-left meter down on the
bottom, giving a bit more room on the top screen for the actual game.
More complex games only adds to the things that you could put on the
bottom screen: maps, character status, ammo, and more.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 12:38:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in
news:41974ae0$0$8328$1b2cd167@news.wanadoo.nl:

> We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks
> very promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this
> new gaming device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
> It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
> eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the
> late 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate
> the Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as
> a compressed Playstation 2.
> The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
> possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
> more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
> game makers to develop for.
> A few years ago, the Nintendo 64 was easily beaten by the Playstation,
> because of the relative cheap storage system (the almighty CD-rom) and
> the more powerful specs of this system.
> I'm afraid that this is to repeat itself again when the PSP is
> released. Nintendo does a great job in revolutionizing the handheld
> world; but I'm afraid Nintendo has to cope with a competition bigger
> than they've ever experienced before. With Nintendo's handheld
> monopoly smashed to smithereens, simply re-creating a Gameboy Advance
> isn't enough. I know Nintendo realises this too, and by integrating
> the touchscreen and the fairly fancy chatting capabilities Nintendo
> dóes show they are capable of not only cloning their systems, but also
> revolutionizing them. But my fears are that after a while, the
> touchscreen becomes nothing but a gadget; the graphics become outdated
> and the game development for this system will be at a low rate.
> Only future will tell what is to happen to this gaming system.
>
>

The Japanese release lineup for the PSP is woeful. If any western gamer
can glean any fun from mahjong then they are in for a treat, but
otherwise...

The biggest factor in this equation is battery life. It killed off many
superior portable handhelds before and Sony STILL haven't confirmed it,
so unless they have a new long life battery technology that the world has
yet to see expect to see anybody with a PSP plugged into a wall socket.

And as for being a portable PS2, developers are being forced into using
"battery emulators" to scale the 3D, sound and AI power of their games to
reduce battery consumption.

So it's really like having a portable PS2 with its nuts cut off, then.

No thanks. I think I'll be sitting on the fence on this one, playing my
NES style GBA never having to worry about the battery. Ever!


--
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 1:49:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

jcwatchdog@msn.com (Jason Costa) wrote in
news:37cabe21.0411141930.15f33450@posting.google.com:

> "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> news:<41974ae0$0$8328$1b2cd167@news.wanadoo.nl>...
>> We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it
>> looks very promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to
>> this new gaming device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
>> It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS
>> will eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in
>> the late 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to
>> recreate the Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be
>> described as a compressed Playstation 2.
>
>
> I know it's stupid, but I'm buying the DS to be able to play GBA
> games with a backlight. I don't ilke the SP's light and the way it
> makes colors dull.

<snip>

Doesn't sound THAT stupid. I modded my old style GBA with an Afterburner
frontlight (they aren't backlights in the true sense) and that was so
bright that it DID make the colours look washed out. When you include
fingerprints and scratches caused to the interior and the screen when
fitting the darn thing as well, then the GBA SP that I now have is like
heaven.

The main difference to me has been not having to replace the batteries
every two hours with NiMH rechargables though. I've never sat and played
12 hours straight without plugging the GBA SP back in to charge it up to
the max again which has meant that I actually take my GBA around with me
now.

Maybe you could get both when the DS comes out. After all, the SP will be
cheap, and it is a LOT more portable than the DS, seeing as it's larger
than even the old GBA. After all, the light on the SP screen isn't THAT
bad. :) 





--
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 11:26:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

rkcoggy wrote:
> jcwatchdog@msn.com (Jason Costa) wrote in
> news:37cabe21.0411141930.15f33450@posting.google.com:
>
>> "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>> news:<41974ae0$0$8328$1b2cd167@news.wanadoo.nl>...
>>> We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it
>>> looks very promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to
>>> this new gaming device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
>>> It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS
>>> will eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did
>>> in the late 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to
>>> recreate the Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be
>>> described as a compressed Playstation 2.
>>
>>
>> I know it's stupid, but I'm buying the DS to be able to play GBA
>> games with a backlight. I don't ilke the SP's light and the way it
>> makes colors dull.
>
> <snip>
>
> Doesn't sound THAT stupid. I modded my old style GBA with an
> Afterburner frontlight (they aren't backlights in the true sense) and
> that was so bright that it DID make the colours look washed out. When
> you include fingerprints and scratches caused to the interior and the
> screen when fitting the darn thing as well, then the GBA SP that I
> now have is like heaven.
>
> The main difference to me has been not having to replace the batteries
> every two hours with NiMH rechargables though. I've never sat and
> played 12 hours straight without plugging the GBA SP back in to
> charge it up to the max again which has meant that I actually take my
> GBA around with me now.
>
> Maybe you could get both when the DS comes out. After all, the SP
> will be cheap, and it is a LOT more portable than the DS, seeing as
> it's larger than even the old GBA. After all, the light on the SP
> screen isn't THAT bad. :) 

It's not so much the frontlight on the SP that's a letdown (I've seen frontlit
PDAs that look almost as good as backlit ones) but the screen itself. It just
isn't very responsive to light, and it's not helped much when you get screen
glare from just about every light source imaginable (with exception to the
frontlight of course).

Before I bought an SP, I played a few games on an emulator (the SP wasn't around
then, and I wasn't impressed with the dark screen on the GBA), and the vibrant
colours that reminded me of the 16-bit days persuaded me to go out and buy an SP
on its day of release. I was actually quite disappointed when I switched it on
and discovered that the bright and vibrant colours of Zelda LTTP and Sonic
Advance (I bought both with the SP) I was used to on the emulator were
disappointingly dull and washed-out, with reds suffering the most.

The DS is giving me the chance to play my GBA games on a true backlit screen,
and although I will obviously be buying DS games for it as well (when it comes
out over here in March next year), I am more looking forward to seeing Zelda,
Sonic Advance 1-3 and Metroid Fusion in their full glory, complete with stereo
sound! ;-)

Paul.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 12:57:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

rkcoggy <rkcoggynospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<cna1kf$6t2$


> Maybe you could get both when the DS comes out. After all, the SP will be
> cheap, and it is a LOT more portable than the DS, seeing as it's larger
> than even the old GBA. After all, the light on the SP screen isn't THAT
> bad. :) 
>


I have the SP, I bought it when it first came out :)  It's not bad,
it just doesn't look the way it's supposed to look (like on my Sega
Nomad). I've been much happier with the SP than the Glacier GBA I
had. I didn't mind the size, but I HATED the screen. I ended up
buying a fool Flood Light attachment, which made the GBA about 3-4
times as heavy and looked ridiculous (and there was still glare and
dark edges on the games!).
From the screens I saw of a side by side comparison, it seems the
DS is alomst identical in size (when closed) to the original GBA,
which wasn't too big. The SP is definitely more portable though.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 4:02:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Tom Brown wrote:

> Inferno wrote:
>
>
>>The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
>>possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
>>more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
>>game makers to develop for.
>
>
>
> The fact that the PSP playes movies makes it appeal to more than only
> gamers, and therefore makes it a more likely choice for game makers?
>
> Ignoring the total lack of logic in that statement, don't count on the movie
> capability of the PSP to sell many units. Since we can't transfer any video
> we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
> movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
> movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.
>
> The games themselves will make or break the DS and PSP...
>
>

Ain't that the truth!
!