The problem with the DS

We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks very
promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this new gaming
device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the late
90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate the
Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as a
compressed Playstation 2.
The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to more than
only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for game makers to
develop for.
A few years ago, the Nintendo 64 was easily beaten by the Playstation,
because of the relative cheap storage system (the almighty CD-rom) and the
more powerful specs of this system.
I'm afraid that this is to repeat itself again when the PSP is released.
Nintendo does a great job in revolutionizing the handheld world; but I'm
afraid Nintendo has to cope with a competition bigger than they've ever
experienced before. With Nintendo's handheld monopoly smashed to
smithereens, simply re-creating a Gameboy Advance isn't enough. I know
Nintendo realises this too, and by integrating the touchscreen and the
fairly fancy chatting capabilities Nintendo dóes show they are capable of
not only cloning their systems, but also revolutionizing them. But my fears
are that after a while, the touchscreen becomes nothing but a gadget; the
graphics become outdated and the game development for this system will be at
a low rate.
Only future will tell what is to happen to this gaming system.
13 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Inferno wrote:

    > The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
    > possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
    > more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
    > game makers to develop for.

    The fact that the PSP playes movies makes it appeal to more than only
    gamers, and therefore makes it a more likely choice for game makers?

    Ignoring the total lack of logic in that statement, don't count on the movie
    capability of the PSP to sell many units. Since we can't transfer any video
    we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
    movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
    movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.

    The games themselves will make or break the DS and PSP...

    The more people buy a handheld, the more games will be produced for this
    system.
    People might be more attracted to the PSP because of the movie player and
    the better graphics, which means that the PSP-sales could exceed the sales
    of the DS.
    In the end this means that more games will be produced for the PSP and this
    might lead to the DS' downfall.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm no fanboy of Sony, I even got a pre-order for a DS;
    but these were just my thoughts about the next-gen handhelds coming out.

    "Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> schreef in bericht
    > Inferno wrote:
    >
    >> The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
    >> possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
    >> more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
    >> game makers to develop for.
    >

    > The fact that the PSP playes movies makes it appeal to more than only
    > gamers, and therefore makes it a more likely choice for game makers?
    >
    > Ignoring the total lack of logic in that statement, don't count on the
    > movie
    > capability of the PSP to sell many units. Since we can't transfer any
    > video
    > we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
    > movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
    > movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.
    >
    > The games themselves will make or break the DS and PSP...

    "Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> schreef in bericht
    > Inferno wrote:
    >
    > Since we can't transfer any video
    > we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
    > movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
    > movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.

    We'll just watch and see...

    One thing I would like to see is if any developers decide to make a game for
    the DS but for-go the 2nd screen. Basically use it like a souped up GBA with
    wireless capabilities and a faster GPU. The other question is if Nintendo
    would even allow this. It is possible not to activate both at once, but
    Nintendo may have some DS "standards". Anyway, the only reason I mention
    this is that there are only so many dual screen style games that developers
    are going to want to make. Sure two screens are fun , but it is nice to have
    the option ;-)
    "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    > We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks
    > very promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this new
    > gaming device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
    > It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
    > eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the late
    > 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate the
    > Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as a
    > compressed Playstation 2.
    > The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
    > possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to more
    > than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for game makers
    > to develop for.
    > A few years ago, the Nintendo 64 was easily beaten by the Playstation,
    > because of the relative cheap storage system (the almighty CD-rom) and the
    > more powerful specs of this system.
    > I'm afraid that this is to repeat itself again when the PSP is released.
    > Nintendo does a great job in revolutionizing the handheld world; but I'm
    > afraid Nintendo has to cope with a competition bigger than they've ever
    > experienced before. With Nintendo's handheld monopoly smashed to
    > smithereens, simply re-creating a Gameboy Advance isn't enough. I know
    > Nintendo realises this too, and by integrating the touchscreen and the
    > fairly fancy chatting capabilities Nintendo dóes show they are capable of
    > not only cloning their systems, but also revolutionizing them. But my
    > fears are that after a while, the touchscreen becomes nothing but a
    > gadget; the graphics become outdated and the game development for this
    > system will be at a low rate.
    > Only future will tell what is to happen to this gaming system.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    > We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks
    very
    > promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this new gaming
    > device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
    > It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
    > eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the late
    > 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate the
    > Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as a
    > compressed Playstation 2.
    > The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
    > possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to more
    than
    > only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for game makers to
    > develop for.
    > A few years ago, the Nintendo 64 was easily beaten by the Playstation,
    > because of the relative cheap storage system (the almighty CD-rom) and the
    > more powerful specs of this system.
    > I'm afraid that this is to repeat itself again when the PSP is released.
    > Nintendo does a great job in revolutionizing the handheld world; but I'm
    > afraid Nintendo has to cope with a competition bigger than they've ever
    > experienced before. With Nintendo's handheld monopoly smashed to
    > smithereens, simply re-creating a Gameboy Advance isn't enough. I know
    > Nintendo realises this too, and by integrating the touchscreen and the
    > fairly fancy chatting capabilities Nintendo dóes show they are capable of
    > not only cloning their systems, but also revolutionizing them. But my
    fears
    > are that after a while, the touchscreen becomes nothing but a gadget; the
    > graphics become outdated and the game development for this system will be
    at
    > a low rate.
    > Only future will tell what is to happen to this gaming system.

    Regardless of technical specs etc (which although they have a part to play,
    rarely determine the winners in these matters - Dreamcast and Betamax to
    name but two) the biggest problem the PSP has in it's delay to market.

    From the reports I've seen, the DS has been massively pre-ordered and large
    scale shortages are predicted (which of course helps with the 'sold out - it
    must be good, I want one' brigade). Whether the PSP will be able to make up
    the gap from launching later will be the real determining factor in this.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:<41974ae0$0$8328$1b2cd167@news.wanadoo.nl>...
    > We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks very
    > promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this new gaming
    > device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
    > It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
    > eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the late
    > 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate the
    > Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as a
    > compressed Playstation 2.

    I know it's stupid, but I'm buying the DS to be able to play GBA
    games with a backlight. I don't ilke the SP's light and the way it
    makes colors dull. Finally, I should be able to play all GBA games as
    they actually look in game preview screenshots :) I haven't even
    placed an order for a DS game yet, but will probably get Mario 64 just
    because of the fond memories I had of it. And of course, Animal
    Crossing and that sci-fi surgery game that I heard Atlus was doing,
    when it eventually comes out. Honestly, the release titles for the DS
    are somewhat poor aside from Mario 64 and maybe Madden, but that's not
    uncommon.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    I look mostly for the games that play on a system when deciding on getting a
    system. Backward compatibility is a factor as well as the coolness factor.
    Mainly games though.

    So far In my opinion it looks like the PSP will be mainly the kind of games
    that run on on PS2. I ended up selling my PS2 in favor of building a PC, so
    that isn't a big selling point for me. So far none of the announced games
    for PSP really appeal to me, but we'll see later on. (I'm not faithful to
    any one maker of systems) If there were a system that I am faithful to it is
    the PC.

    Battery life is a concern for a portable system. When I got the Atari lynx I
    found that I had to be plugged into a wall outlet at all times. When I had
    my laptop the battery would conk out after 2 hours. Even 4 hours would be
    pushing it for me. With my Game Boy advance, I've never run out of battery
    power while playing. Though battery power is less for the DS it is still
    more than enouph to call it 'portable'.

    The games for the DS appeal to me. The touch screen brings a new aspect of
    play to the table. As a fan of first person shooters for the PC, which all
    use the "mouse look" control, the idea of a "virtual mouse" (Using the touch
    pad as a mouse to look around and aim) has sold me on the system. (I don't
    like using an analog stick to aim. It takes too long.) I just hope they
    bring out more than just Metroid Prime Hunters.

    Of course, I'll probably get the PSP later on when they have more games that
    appeal to me. As for movies: If I get a movie for the PSP, I'll only be able
    to watch it on the PSP. I'd have to buy it again just to watch it with
    surround sound with my various tvs and computers. And not very many movies
    are worth taking on the road. I know, I've taken movies with me when
    travelling with my laptop and I didn't feel the need to watch them on the
    plane. Now if you can take a UMD and burn it to a DVD, maybe then I'd be
    interested.Right now it's not cost effective. Maybe if I can burn all my
    MP3s to a UMD then I'd be interested in the "walkman" aspect. But if I
    really wanted that I'd get an IPOD that has 12 hours of battery life!! The
    only reason I'd get the PSP would be for the games.

    "Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message
    > Inferno wrote:
    >
    >> The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
    >> possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
    >> more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
    >> game makers to develop for.
    >

    > The fact that the PSP playes movies makes it appeal to more than only
    > gamers, and therefore makes it a more likely choice for game makers?
    >
    > Ignoring the total lack of logic in that statement, don't count on the
    > movie
    > capability of the PSP to sell many units. Since we can't transfer any
    > video
    > we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
    > movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
    > movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.
    >
    > The games themselves will make or break the DS and PSP...

    ---
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:52:21 -0600, "Ross" <bluehoney@charter.net>
    wrote:

    >One thing I would like to see is if any developers decide to make a game for
    >the DS but for-go the 2nd screen. Basically use it like a souped up GBA with
    >wireless capabilities and a faster GPU. The other question is if Nintendo
    >would even allow this. It is possible not to activate both at once, but
    >Nintendo may have some DS "standards". Anyway, the only reason I mention
    >this is that there are only so many dual screen style games that developers
    >are going to want to make. Sure two screens are fun , but it is nice to have
    >the option ;-)

    I really can't think of any games where you couldn't come up with
    SOMETHING to put on the second screen. Even a simple game like
    PacMan, you could stick the score and lives-left meter down on the
    bottom, giving a bit more room on the top screen for the actual game.
    More complex games only adds to the things that you could put on the
    bottom screen: maps, character status, ammo, and more.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in

    > We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it looks
    > very promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to this
    > new gaming device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
    > It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS will
    > eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in the
    > late 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to recreate
    > the Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be described as
    > a compressed Playstation 2.
    > The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
    > possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
    > more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
    > game makers to develop for.
    > A few years ago, the Nintendo 64 was easily beaten by the Playstation,
    > because of the relative cheap storage system (the almighty CD-rom) and
    > the more powerful specs of this system.
    > I'm afraid that this is to repeat itself again when the PSP is
    > released. Nintendo does a great job in revolutionizing the handheld
    > world; but I'm afraid Nintendo has to cope with a competition bigger
    > than they've ever experienced before. With Nintendo's handheld
    > monopoly smashed to smithereens, simply re-creating a Gameboy Advance
    > isn't enough. I know Nintendo realises this too, and by integrating
    > the touchscreen and the fairly fancy chatting capabilities Nintendo
    > dóes show they are capable of not only cloning their systems, but also
    > revolutionizing them. But my fears are that after a while, the
    > touchscreen becomes nothing but a gadget; the graphics become outdated
    > and the game development for this system will be at a low rate.
    > Only future will tell what is to happen to this gaming system.

    The Japanese release lineup for the PSP is woeful. If any western gamer
    can glean any fun from mahjong then they are in for a treat, but
    otherwise...

    The biggest factor in this equation is battery life. It killed off many
    superior portable handhelds before and Sony STILL haven't confirmed it,
    so unless they have a new long life battery technology that the world has
    yet to see expect to see anybody with a PSP plugged into a wall socket.

    And as for being a portable PS2, developers are being forced into using
    "battery emulators" to scale the 3D, sound and AI power of their games to
    reduce battery consumption.

    So it's really like having a portable PS2 with its nuts cut off, then.

    No thanks. I think I'll be sitting on the fence on this one, playing my
    NES style GBA never having to worry about the battery. Ever!

    --
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    jcwatchdog@msn.com (Jason Costa) wrote in

    > "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    >> We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it
    >> looks very promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to
    >> this new gaming device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
    >> It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS
    >> will eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did in
    >> the late 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to
    >> recreate the Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be
    >> described as a compressed Playstation 2.
    >

    > I know it's stupid, but I'm buying the DS to be able to play GBA
    > games with a backlight. I don't ilke the SP's light and the way it
    > makes colors dull.

    <snip>

    Doesn't sound THAT stupid. I modded my old style GBA with an Afterburner
    frontlight (they aren't backlights in the true sense) and that was so
    bright that it DID make the colours look washed out. When you include
    fingerprints and scratches caused to the interior and the screen when
    fitting the darn thing as well, then the GBA SP that I now have is like
    heaven.

    The main difference to me has been not having to replace the batteries
    every two hours with NiMH rechargables though. I've never sat and played
    12 hours straight without plugging the GBA SP back in to charge it up to
    the max again which has meant that I actually take my GBA around with me
    now.

    Maybe you could get both when the DS comes out. After all, the SP will be
    cheap, and it is a LOT more portable than the DS, seeing as it's larger
    than even the old GBA. After all, the light on the SP screen isn't THAT
    bad. :)

    --
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    rkcoggy wrote:
    > jcwatchdog@msn.com (Jason Costa) wrote in
    >
    >> "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    >>> We've all seen the line-up of the new DS handheld system, and it
    >>> looks very promising. I'm quite sure a lot of people look forward to
    >>> this new gaming device with touchscreen and wi/fi capabilities.
    >>> It seems, though, that especially with Sony's competition, the DS
    >>> will eventually cope with the same problems as the Nintendo 64 did
    >>> in the late 90's. To start off with the graphics; the DS tries to
    >>> recreate the Nintendo-64's graphical power, while the PSP is to be
    >>> described as a compressed Playstation 2.
    >>

    >> I know it's stupid, but I'm buying the DS to be able to play GBA
    >> games with a backlight. I don't ilke the SP's light and the way it
    >> makes colors dull.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Doesn't sound THAT stupid. I modded my old style GBA with an
    > Afterburner frontlight (they aren't backlights in the true sense) and
    > that was so bright that it DID make the colours look washed out. When
    > you include fingerprints and scratches caused to the interior and the
    > screen when fitting the darn thing as well, then the GBA SP that I
    > now have is like heaven.
    >
    > The main difference to me has been not having to replace the batteries
    > every two hours with NiMH rechargables though. I've never sat and
    > played 12 hours straight without plugging the GBA SP back in to
    > charge it up to the max again which has meant that I actually take my
    > GBA around with me now.
    >
    > Maybe you could get both when the DS comes out. After all, the SP
    > will be cheap, and it is a LOT more portable than the DS, seeing as
    > it's larger than even the old GBA. After all, the light on the SP
    > screen isn't THAT bad. :)

    It's not so much the frontlight on the SP that's a letdown (I've seen frontlit
    PDAs that look almost as good as backlit ones) but the screen itself. It just
    isn't very responsive to light, and it's not helped much when you get screen
    glare from just about every light source imaginable (with exception to the
    frontlight of course).

    Before I bought an SP, I played a few games on an emulator (the SP wasn't around
    then, and I wasn't impressed with the dark screen on the GBA), and the vibrant
    colours that reminded me of the 16-bit days persuaded me to go out and buy an SP
    on its day of release. I was actually quite disappointed when I switched it on
    and discovered that the bright and vibrant colours of Zelda LTTP and Sonic
    Advance (I bought both with the SP) I was used to on the emulator were
    disappointingly dull and washed-out, with reds suffering the most.

    The DS is giving me the chance to play my GBA games on a true backlit screen,
    and although I will obviously be buying DS games for it as well (when it comes
    out over here in March next year), I am more looking forward to seeing Zelda,
    Sonic Advance 1-3 and Metroid Fusion in their full glory, complete with stereo
    sound! ;-)

    Paul.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    rkcoggy <rkcoggynospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<cna1kf$6t2$

    > Maybe you could get both when the DS comes out. After all, the SP will be
    > cheap, and it is a LOT more portable than the DS, seeing as it's larger
    > than even the old GBA. After all, the light on the SP screen isn't THAT
    > bad. :)

    I have the SP, I bought it when it first came out :) It's not bad,
    it just doesn't look the way it's supposed to look (like on my Sega
    Nomad). I've been much happier with the SP than the Glacier GBA I
    had. I didn't mind the size, but I HATED the screen. I ended up
    buying a fool Flood Light attachment, which made the GBA about 3-4
    times as heavy and looked ridiculous (and there was still glare and
    dark edges on the games!).
    From the screens I saw of a side by side comparison, it seems the
    DS is alomst identical in size (when closed) to the original GBA,
    which wasn't too big. The SP is definitely more portable though.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Tom Brown wrote:

    > Inferno wrote:
    >

    >>The graphical capibilities of the PSP doesn't stop here. With the
    >>possibility of playing movies on the PSP, it is bound to appeal to
    >>more than only gamers; which makes the PSP a more likely choice for
    >>game makers to develop for.
    >

    > The fact that the PSP playes movies makes it appeal to more than only
    > gamers, and therefore makes it a more likely choice for game makers?
    >
    > Ignoring the total lack of logic in that statement, don't count on the movie
    > capability of the PSP to sell many units. Since we can't transfer any video
    > we already have on the computer/DVD to the PSP, anyone who wants to watch
    > movies on it will have to buy them again. Who is going to spend $50 on a
    > movie that will only play on a PSP!?!? Not many people.
    >
    > The games themselves will make or break the DS and PSP...

    Ain't that the truth!

Console Gaming PlayStation Nintendo Video Games