My first build-need help

Let me preface this post by saying that I am a noob when it comes to computers. I have been looking through these forums and have picked up some of the lingo but there is a lot for me to learn still.

I already have the following CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz

and memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

What is your resolution?
1920x1080 - I already have a monitor

What are you using it for?
gaming, office, and web browsing

What is your upgrade cycle?
+2 years possible upgrade in the (far-off) future

When do you plan on building it?
within 1 month

Do you plan on overclocking?
probably but i dont know how to do it lol

Do you need an Operating System?
no

Do you plan to add a second GPU for SLI or Crossfire?
yes

I'm specifically looking for assistance with selecting a motherboard and graphics card that would be compatible with what I have. Im looking to spend $400-500 for these two components and my budget for the total build is $1000.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)
3 answers Last reply
More about build need help
  1. motherboard: GA-990XA-UD3 $150 Allows for CF or SLI and upgrading cpu to bulldozer

Graphics Card: MSI R6950 $280 (25MIR) It's a reference design if you want to flash the 6970 bios onto it. If you don't like the idea of overclocking or flashing you have room in the budget to buy a 6970 or a gtx 570.

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W $80 deal ends in two days otherwise it's 140. 750W will handle 2xgraphics cards

Case: NZXT Phantom $120 great looking, customizable, air flow, room.

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 $50 again sale ends in 2 days otherwise it's $65.

HSF: Hyper 212 Plus $50 pricey for this guy...can go to Noctua NH-D14 $90 for the uber HSF

SDD (optional) : OCZ Agility 3 $135 (15MIR)

I think that is everything and fits your budget with room to spare...but then again I usually miss something >.>
  2. Thank you very much for the reply. I have a couple of questions for you. You said the SSD is optional, why is this? Also, I am seeing a lot of people choosing an internal hard drive over an external hard drive, is there an advantage to this?
  3. Less mess for an internal hard drive. The SSD is optional as you don't need it but a nice upgrade to have. It won't really improve you gaming performance other than load times but it will make your computer feel faster.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product