Computer won't turn on (lights blink once)

steamroller16

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I accidentally hit the sleep button on my keyboard and now my computer won't turn on. Everything was working perfectly before I hit the button. Now when I press the power button, the lights come on for about 1 second then go off. About 3 seconds later, all the lights blink once and then nothing happens.

I have tried unplugging the power and plugging back in after a few hours. I have also removed all the components except the processor from the motherboard. So right now, the only connections to the board are the two power supply connections (24 pin and 8 pin) and the processor is in the socket.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare power supply. Is there anything else I can try to narrow down the problem further? Any ideas why this might be happening?

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Processor: Core i7 920 - 2.66GHz
PSU: Corsair TX 750W

Thanks.

steamroller16

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Same problem. Tried all combinations of two sticks. I tried different slots too (I have 6 slots total).

Yeah. Can't get into the BIOS. Monitor doesn't even turn on.

Is it in the standby mode?

Is there a green light on mobo?

steamroller16

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
That's what I was thinking as well. Just wanted to cover all other angles before buying another one. Maybe I can borrow one from a friend to test.

I have another old computer that has a 20 pin power connector. Does it make sense to try my PSU on the old computer and see if it works? Would that help me determine if the PSU is bad?

steamroller16

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

No. There's no green light. There are two buttons on the motherboard (power and reset) and they light up as soon as I plug the power supply into the wall but no other lights. I know these are on even when the computer is fully turned off. There is another light under the ASUS logo on the board which lights up when in standby and also when powered on and that light is definitely not on.

sunney

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Soul go into your screensaver setting. Check your power options. If you have it set to Balanced or Power saving then it shuts down the hard drives after 30 minutes. After that it require just a click of the power button to wake it correctly. I usually set mine to High Performance to stop that. But you can change those settings in other options as well.
Making sure the hard drives dont turn off should stop this from happening and prevent the whole CMOS clear thing.

steamroller16

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Just hooked up the power supply to that old computer and the power supply works perfectly! Now I am down to the processor and motherboard. Any suggestion on which one to try replacing first? I am going to have to buy new parts to try.

steamroller16

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I tried something else that changed the problem. I removed the coin cell battery on the motherboard and put it back in after a minute. Now the motherboard stays on but it won't post and the display is blank.

steamroller16

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Problem fixed.

Found out that a pin in the CPU socket was bent and carefully bent it back into place. Don't know how this happened since I haven't taken the CPU out of the socket for more than 2 years but I'm happy that it is all working again.