My First Build Finalspecs, Feedback?

royaleduke

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
CPU: Core i5 2500k, stock cooler until I can afford an extra 30 bucks for an aftermarket one
MOBO: ASRock Extreme 4
GPU: Either, HIS HD6950 2gb IceQ turbo or MSI Twin Frozr II 2gb HD6950
CASE: Rosewill Challenger MidATX
MEMORY: Gskill 1333 DDR3 Ripjaws X
HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Blue 500GB
PSU: Corsair 650TX V2

Windows 7 64bit, ordering it with some spare credit I have on amazon, so I freed up some build money.

Total: $894.98~ give or take

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

My only thought really is that I decided against getting a 560 ti after reading up on the horrendous issues people seem to be having. What a shame, since I wanted to try Team Green this time... Been a longtime ATi User and I've always been happy with ATi.

Also, I really want this Rosewill case but I'm hearing conflicting reports about the HD6950 being able to fit in there. Any thoughts? Will airflow be any good? Will it fit?

I'd welcome case suggestions.

Can't wait to play BF3 on this thing!

royaleduke

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

I've been reading about a lot about drivers causing a lot of artifacting, and even some cards dying within the space of a few weeks to a month or two. Needless to say it scared me off, which makes me sad since I wanted to get the 560 ti Hawk or just the regular Twin frozr II.

Dang, I wanted that case too! Do you think I'll have temp problems with the stock 120mm fans on the HAF 912? I don't think i have anymore budget sway to grab some extra fans since I still gotta buy some games to go with this LOL. I suppose Batman:Arkham City could always wait LOL.

My ambient room temp is around 70, but goes up to 80 on a hot day.

I've got about 30 or so days until I'll have the money to purchase.

Also, call me crazy but I love the way the HAF cases look. Utilitarian tanks!

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Ah, I haven't encountered that, but I haven't really done super intense gaming on mine yet.

Well the cooling on the 912 definitely isn't the greatest in the world, comes stock with 2 fans and one side fan optional (pretty cheap to get a good one) although depending on the size of the aftermarket cooler you decide to get it may not fit a side fan with it.

It looks like you can remove the middle drive tray too (you won't need it with your current set-up) to improve your airflow.

Could always plop down 20 more bucks for this beauty of a case as well, got some nice reviews (comes with 4 fans)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235027&Tpk=zalman%20z9%20plus

royaleduke

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

I think I'll just take it like a man and pony up the dollars for the HAF 922. I'm still trying to decide on the graphics card as I like to do fairly heavy gaming myself.

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I have a feeling you won't be let down by the 922. I have always believed you should never short change yourself on 2 things. Case and PSU. These are the things that will be compatible with future upgrades. Nothing against most people but I always laugh when I see 1600 dollars worth of components in a 50 dollar case.

royaleduke

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

Yeah I agree, it's too funny. Why not spend that little bit extra?

Which drivers are you running on your 560 ti? I'm still being indecisive on the GPU but at this point my build has gone about 50 bucks over anyway so it doesn't really matter.

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I am using the latest drivers mostly in DX11 version of WOW and it has been flawless. You will be happy with either of the video card options you are considering, I just have a Bias towards Nvidia, always have. I am using the EVGA slight factory overclock card.

royaleduke

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

Ah okay, I was thinking either getting the MSI Twin Frozr II 560 ti or the EVGA 560 Ti FPB. Who knows I might just take a leap of faith and go with the 560 ti, it would lighten the shock a bit and I might be able to still get Batman alongside BF3 and Skyrim. If all else fails I suppose Batman can wait, and I can get a shiny HD6950 but the benches make it look like it's not worth the extra cash to be honest.

I'll mostly be playing DOWII, Company of Heroes, Crysis 1/Warhead/2, Total War series, and any other FPS games that might interest me(BF3!!!). I've been wanting to play STALKER for forever! Now I can. :D

I can't wait to see what this rig will do to BF3 though, I don't think BF3 will be as demanding as most people think. Then again I just want to play it similar to how those pre-alpha vids looked which was supposedly running on a 5870 or 580 GTX, Core i5 2500k, and like 4 gigs of ram #@ 1080p at about 55-70 FPS according to the devs.

Which, if you think about that for a second it will blow your mind considering the game is ONLY PRE ALPHA and runs and looks THAT GOOD on that hardware. I can't wait to see what the final version looks and runs like, most people seem to be thinking that a 560 ti or HD6950 will be more than enough, and if you have the higher end cards you shouldn't even worry.

Damn, picking components is so hard. xD And LOL LONG POST.

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I feel your pain. I got the bug to build a computer after the sandy bridge issues were fixed earlier in the year. I spent literally the last month and a half reading the forums here and browsing other review sites etc to try and put together my system. I finally figured out what I wanted but yeah it is very very hard to decide with all of the options and all of the different opinions you will run into.

Tom's is an awesome resource though.

royaleduke

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

I've been a longtime fan of Toms, mostly a lurker but I've had an account for some time now.

Anyway thanks for the help, I'll leave this open in case anybody else wants to weigh in on the subject.

I just realized I can finally play Witcher and Witcher 2.

OH YEEEEEAH.

But, seriously I cannot wait for BF3.