Noob here. How will this computer run for gaming?

So basically, I do not know computers very well and I wanted to ask you guys if this will be able to run the games I play with sufficient FPS (looking to get at least 40FPS on new games 2011+ on relatively high settings).

Its an HP dv7tqe Laptop that is retailed at about $1200 but with instant savings and a coupon I got it down to $900
The specs are:

Processor: 2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
Graphics Card: 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
Memory: 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard Drive: 750GB 5400RPM (Upgrade to 750GB 7200RPMG available for 20$ more, is it worth it?)

I play League of Legends, Minecraft, Mount & Blade Warband and Team Fortress 2 as of now.
I PLAN to play Elder Scrolls V, Dota 2 along with any game that looks fun upcoming later this year.

Also... Do gaming mouses make a difference compared to a normal mouse? I am interested in the Razer DeathAdder because I like how it has 2 side buttons yet it remains simple... nor do I have the need for a bunch of buttons because I quit the only game I would ever need that for (WoW).

Once again, I bet this kind of thread is pretty common but I do not know how to read specs because there is so much variation so I hope you guys could help me out! Thanks so much in advance.
5 answers Last reply
More about noob here computer gaming
  1. That would be a modest gaming laptop. Depending on the resolution of the screen attached to that laptop would determine a what kind of settings you could run. You won't be pushing high settings with a 1920x1080 panel. A lower res would probably allow you to push to some high settings, depending on how demanding the game is.

And a good mouse does make a difference. I have a Razer DeathAdder, not because it's a "gaming" mouse, but because I liked the feel of it (weight, size, button placement, etc) more than any mouse at the store.

BTW, a gaming PC will give you more bang for the buck over a laptop.
  2. calinkula said:
    That would be a modest gaming laptop. Depending on the resolution of the screen attached to that laptop would determine a what kind of settings you could run. You won't be pushing high settings with a 1920x1080 panel. A lower res would probably allow you to push to some high settings, depending on how demanding the game is.

And a good mouse does make a difference. I have a Razer DeathAdder, not because it's a "gaming" mouse, but because I liked the feel of it (weight, size, button placement, etc) more than any mouse at the store.

BTW, a gaming PC will give you more bang for the buck over a laptop.

The screen resolution is 1600x900. I know that a gaming PC will give me a better deal/specs but the thing is... for me the funnest part of gaming is with friends so portability is definitely a biggie for me because my current desktop is ANNOYING to bring over to friends houses.
  3. Then you need to decide whether the portability is better over the eye candy. Or up your budget for the laptop.
  4. If you really need a laptop and want all the eye candy, you may just have to spend more money on something that has at least GTX460m.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230111

That HP will do just fine with console ports, but not Skyrim. Or you could just build a tiny LAN rig.
  5. Um I should probably clearify, my budget is $1000 and I am not talking about hardcore max settings, sorry if that was implied, I am just saying the game cant look BAD (low on all settings)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product