Sign in with
Your question

How does blue screen of death damage computer

Last response: in Components
September 14, 2011 12:30:36 AM

My computer recently crashed and the data was so corrupt that I had to reinstall the OS and since then, the computer is running extremely slow. I have ran CPU tests, Memory tests, and HD tests which all come up good with no problems. I do get warnings from firefox about high disc usage while running any application. What I mean by slow is 1 to 3 minutes to load firefox or to retrieve email. I believe that initially it was a virus as my anti virus had shut down and I did not notice it until too late but that has been rectified. So is it possable to damage the motherboard? I cannot find any programs that check the function of the MB. Any ideas would be really helpful in narrowing down the problem.
September 14, 2011 1:28:50 AM

A blue screen doesnt damage the computer, but it may be a sign that something was damaged. Sometimes the suddenness of the crash can cause some files that were being updated to get corrupted. If firefox is your main issue then it might be that its settings were corrupted, it may be consistently caching to the HDD rather than storing on the RAM which is much faster.

Motherboard damage is hard to check with software as it interacts with almost everything so the best way is to rule out other parts and if all thats left is the motherboard and CPU its probably the board as CPUs are quite sturdy.
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:49:30 AM

hunter315 said:
A blue screen doesnt damage the computer, but it may be a sign that something was damaged. Sometimes the suddenness of the crash can cause some files that were being updated to get corrupted. If firefox is your main issue then it might be that its settings were corrupted, it may be consistently caching to the HDD rather than storing on the RAM which is much faster.

Motherboard damage is hard to check with software as it interacts with almost everything so the best way is to rule out other parts and if all thats left is the motherboard and CPU its probably the board as CPUs are quite sturdy.

I should clarify that all programs are very slow to start, and if I click on something too quickly, it states that it is not responding. I do believe that all of the problems started with a virus but I cannot prove it. I retrieved what data I could and wiped the HD and reformatted. I cannot figure out why every program is so slow. it seems like there is a problem with communication but I can hear the HD chugging away like it is trying to read the data.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2011 4:19:00 AM

from software :
the software you need CC cleaner to fix registry and disable unnecessary start-up such as automatic software updates, and try to uninstall the Anti virus software, disabled firewall, in Firefox disabeld Add-Ons

From Hardware :
try to clear CMOS, even if you do not overclock, there is no harm if a try, who knows no setting is wrong.

m
l
September 14, 2011 10:52:50 AM

If your machine is getting slow again after re-formatting and copying data back there are 3 reason why this could be happening.

1) your machine has a virus or malware/rootkit install an up to date free av such avast free and malwarebytes
formatting and re-istalling does NOT get rid of boot block rootkits download tdsskiller and run it.
These can all be download from http://www.download.com

2) your machines hard drive could be building bad sectors in computer (vista,7) or my computer (xp,2k) right click on c: select properties, tools tab, error checking click check now and check off both boxes and yes to scan after restart it only takes a few bad sectors to slow down your pc in right spot.

3) cpu is the cooling fins free of dust, are there any bad caps on your motherboard?

m
l
!