Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Build

batt501

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Okay, time to laugh at the newb.....I'm not really a newb, I just haven't built a system in over 7 years. I'll try to keep it short.

My earlier post here was questioning a CAD workstation build. I took 95% of the recomendations when purchasing the pieces. However, I went for the ASrock versus an ASUS MB. I completed the build a few hours ago, hit the power switch, and got nothing (nada, zip, zilch). No POST, BIOS screen or LAN lights. All four (4) fans spin, CDRom opens and closes; that's about it.

Here's the components:

Existing Lain Li case
ASrock Z68 Extreme4
i7 2600k
G. Skill 4Gx2 F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT (suggested memory for the ASUS MB)
Crucial M4 SSD (OS and progs)
(2) 1.5T Seagates in Raid1 (data) (Not connected)
XFX 650X PSU (Does not physically fit in case)
Hyper 212+
Nvidia Quadro 600 (Not connected)
250Gb Seagate from old system (holds existing data to transfer to new Raid1) (Not connected)
Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit

I only have the SSD and CD plugged in. My thought is to get Win7 running and then add the RAID1, then USB, Nvidia, existing HDD, etc.

I had the Nvidia plugged in, but took it out.

As far as the PSU, I reused my existing (2005) PC Power & Cooling 510 Express / SLI.

I read a snippet regarding memory; the memory I have is not listed on ASrock's Supported List. BIOS requires memory to run, correct? How many times should I smack my head against the wall for not doing my homework?

The PSU might be on the light side....could that be it?

I pretty sure I install the CPU correctly.....yes, please laugh loudly.

How do you know if you have a bad board?

Oh powerful gurus of the TH Forum, please lend a helping hand!!!!!

At least I can say everything looks cool.....yeah, laugh more!

btw, any advice on a kick-ass UPS/Battery Back?

Thank guys!!!

mrjellybean

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I had the same problem when I first built my PC. First boot up your PC with only the PSU, motherboard, and CPU installed. You should hear a series of beeps indicating that you have missing RAM. Then try booting your computer with only one stick of RAM and keep adding another until all four sticks are installed. IT might be either your RAM slot or the RAM itself which is defective.