Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GPU and limited power supply

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2011 12:26:35 AM

My wife's on-board computer graphics failed once just out of warranty, purchased July 2007. After some arm twisting HP relented and repaired in 2009 of 2010.

Lately, the monitor is showing an odd greenish tint. The monitor is working perfectly when connected to another computer.

Recently, I connected an amp meter, in series, between the outlet and the HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n computer power cord (will never buy a small form factor computer again no matter the brand name) to determine the amount of amperage draw while everything was powered on, eg. printer, etc. The meter displayed about a half-amp. So, a 1/2 amp times 120 volts equals 60 watts. The power supply is 160 watts. Therefore, 60 watts divided by 120 volts results in a 0.375 or 37.5% load upon the power supply.

She does not want a new nor does she need a new computer. All she does is surf the web, geneology, and e-mails. To buy anything decent is not reasonable!

So, if I purchase a decent low-profile, fan cooled video card, with VGA output for the monitor, that requires between 28 watts to 30.5 watts, eg. NVIDIA.com examples, that would increase the load upon the power supply from 55% (total 88 watts) to a maximum 57% (total 90.5 watts).

This type of computer is compact. It contains one cooling fan. If I add a fan cooled video card I believe both will dissipate any additional heat adequately.

I would appreciate anybody's opinion that may have had experience in regard to heat dissipation within a computer cabinet, especially this size.
April 6, 2011 7:36:17 PM

Well it should work fine as long as it's a weak card of course because well you know it won't put out as much heat A.K.A. GeForce GT 210, 220, 430 Radeon HD 5450, 5550.
m
l

Best solution

April 7, 2011 8:03:33 AM

since it was purchased in july 2007, be careful getting a card from the 5xxx series since their PCIE x16 2.1 and some older OEM mobos running 1.0 or 1.0a slots can only take up to 2.0 cards (unless there is a bios update available, but in most cases there won't be).

I made this mistake when I brought a 5450 for an old OEM machine.

I would definitly recommend a 4350, there should be enough juice in that little PSU to run it, its a PCIE x16 2.0 so should be no issue being backwards compatible. Most of the 4350s I've seen as of late come with a fan and run at extremly low temperatures. Their a small card and always seem to come with a Low Profile Bracket if required...... and it will even give her a little gaming performance if she ever wanted to play something old like Sims 2 =D (my partner loves Sims 2 and she plays it set to max on a 4350)
Related resources
April 7, 2011 8:04:22 AM

<deleted... put it all into the one post>
m
l
April 22, 2011 8:30:38 PM

lazy_Mofo said:
<deleted... put it all into the one post>

Dear lazy mofo,

Thanks for your reply. I have been busy and not able to reply. I took a chance and ordered that PNY VCQFX380LP-PCIE-PB video card. Your concern regarding the BIOS is undoubtedly the reason why her VISTA SP2 did not recognize the card, as it has turned out. I ended up calling PNY tech and spent an hour plus to no avail. I called Newegg for authorization to return it. Newegg was very understanding and issued an RMA. I went to HP to see if a later BIOS was available. Her current VISTA BIOS is 5.07 with an 11/22/07 date. That is odd, we purchased it July 4, 2007. HP showed a BIOS update of, I forgot the correct date, but let's say, March 2008. I downloaded, saved, disabled all Startup files, disabled firewall and antivirus and then installed the later dated BIOS. After it completed I restarted only to find the so-called BIOS update was the same 5.07 11/22/07.

The PNY tech suggested a VERTO GeForce 210, has a fan and is low profile, and if purchased to download GeForce 6150 LE driver, her current on-board graphics adapter, and hopefully that would work. At this point, I would doubt it due to the BIOS. While at HP I noticed that they will be accepting questions April 26 and 27 directed to "Ask the experts." I hope to pose in the form of a question as noted above. I doubt I will receive any encouragement from their reply. Probably more poor service from HP, as usual. Can't e-mail for help due to it being out of warranty. I may post a reply regarding their comment(s).

In any case, thanks very much for your comments. Be well. John
m
l
April 22, 2011 8:32:02 PM

Best answer selected by Commando Cody.
m
l
!