Is this a bent pin?

waldemarfm

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I bought a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 motherboard for a new build with an i5 2500k a month ago. I never saw anything on screen, no POST even when everything was powered on. I freaked out thinking I did something wrong. A fellow friend who is a technician offered to help me, but some time passed and the Newegg period for a return was over.

After a lot of troubleshooting, we came to the conclusion it was either the motherboard or CPU. I bought a cheap 1155 mobo and used the CPU on it, and no POST either, so it was final, it was the CPU who came DOA.

I bought a new one (planning on doing an RMA on the old one, but I need a PC asap) but before installing it we saw this http://i.imgur.com/Cgc6y.jpg

As you can see there's an out of place pin there. I never inserted anything in there to bend a pin like that so I must conclude it came like that from the start. My question is, could I have been so unlucky that the mobo fried the i5 because of this and now I have no chance of getting them changed? Could Gigabyte deny the warranty RMA request because it might suspect foul play? Same with Intel?

I'm really worried I might have lost 350 dollars to no fault of my own (other than not noticing this in the first place which will not happen again). I'm not exactly rich. Any thoughts?