Kingston CF/1024 and Coolpix 5400

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 6, 2005 4:01:47 PM

Has anyone tried the combination of these two?

Only 256/512MB Elite Pro CF cards are listed as compatible for Nikon
Coolpix 5400 by Kingston's Memory Configurator. But all other CF cards
including CF/1024 are compatible with 5700.

Is there any difference between Coolpix 5400 and 5700 as far as memory
is concerned?
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:27:51 PM

aliastwo@gmail.com wrote:

>Has anyone tried the combination of these two?
>
>Only 256/512MB Elite Pro CF cards are listed as compatible for Nikon
>Coolpix 5400 by Kingston's Memory Configurator. But all other CF cards
>including CF/1024 are compatible with 5700.
>
>Is there any difference between Coolpix 5400 and 5700 as far as memory
>is concerned?

Any CF card should work in any camera, but not all cameras can take
advantage of faster cards through. The 5400 is a newer model, so it
may have faster write speeds, and so they may be recommending only
their faster cards.
Sti

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.
March 8, 2005 9:16:49 AM

aliastwo@gmail.com wrote:

> Only 256/512MB Elite Pro CF cards are listed as compatible for Nikon
> Coolpix 5400 by Kingston's Memory Configurator. But all other CF cards
> including CF/1024 are compatible with 5700.

I called Nikon tech support before buying to make sure a 1 gig card would work with
the 5400 I was ordering, and then bought a Sandisk Ultra II, figuring faster is
better. When I actually got the camera the manual listed the standard Sandisk 1 gig
card as compatible but only the 256 and 512 Ultra cards. I spent the first evening
shooting pics of the living room while watching TV, filling the card and then
transferring it to the laptop and had no problems. I have found, though, that the
Ultra card is actually slower than the 128MB standard sandisk card that I got for a
previous camera. I haven't actually used a watch, but ofr a few test shots with each
card I consistently got about 11 Mississippi's with the 128MB standard card and 15 or
so with the 1 gig Ultra card. The 8MB Lexar 8X card that came with the camera seems
to be the fastest at 10 Mississippi's. I did this very unscientific test with all of
the cards empty, so the variance presumably doesn't have anything to do with the
address being written to. For similar reasons I would assume that the size of the
card shouldn't make a difference.

As for the poster who says that any CF card should work in any camera, unless you
have other uses for a big card I'd check first. In order to read and write to any
particular memory address the camera has to recognize it. I expect that, at least in
theory, there's no reason a camera made today couldn't be designed to recognize
addresses for a 20 gig card, but the manufacturer may not bother to do so since they
aren't currently available. My experience above seems to indicate that even if any
card will work certain cards make work better than others. Perhaps that's why the
camera manual doesn't list my card as being compatible.

--
Steve

belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:15:11 PM

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:16:49 GMT, Steve <SPAMTRAPglawackus@hvc.rr.com>
wrote:

>I called Nikon tech support before buying to make sure a 1 gig card would work with
>the 5400 I was ordering, and then bought a Sandisk Ultra II, figuring faster is
>better. When I actually got the camera the manual listed the standard Sandisk 1 gig
>card as compatible but only the 256 and 512 Ultra cards.

The usual reason for this is that those were the only Ultra cards
available when that was written.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"