Sign in with
Your question

Overheating PSU

Last response: in Components
September 14, 2011 4:08:44 AM

I fear my PSU may be overheating, leading to the rest of my computer components overheating. Ever since I moved back to college, the PSU has been extremely hot. The vent in the back is very hot to the touch without running any major processes. When i turn on a game, it gets even worse. It is rather warm in my room, but I don't think that is contributing to the power supply being this hot. I am thinking about replacing it incase it does any damage to other components.
Current system: Xclio great power x14s4p4-750w PSU, Asus P5E3 WS Pro motherboard, Radeon HD5780, Intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.4GHz, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

More about : overheating psu

a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2011 4:36:08 AM

50C-60C or 122F-140F would be normal temps under load. If you're running much above that then it may be worth replacing the PSU.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
September 14, 2011 6:47:38 AM

50 - 60 C is not normal temps under load. Only the best PSU's are rated for full output power at 50 C.

I estimate system power consumption at less than 400 watts under full load. Your PSU should not be running as hot as it is.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2011 6:53:55 AM

Make sure the PSU fan is actually running. Also, that will teach you to buy a cheap junk brand psu.
m
l
September 14, 2011 2:05:43 PM

The fan is running, but it blows hot air down into the rest of my components. Also, the power supply is almost 3.5 years old, so I can't really complain about it not working properly anymore, I never had any power related issues prior to this.

What would you guys recommend as a solid replacement? I was thinking of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... incase I ever want to add a second video card
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2011 6:31:57 PM

Replace that unit and be done with it. I hate generic brands as their quality is very very poor compared to more reputable brands. Antec, NZXT, Corsair, Enermax, and a few others are worth the money.
m
l
!