Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mouse Disconnects/Reconnects Randomly

Last response: in Windows 7
December 9, 2011 1:23:01 AM

Greetings everyone,

I'm hoping someone can point me the right direction to solve a new issue I'm having.

[Scenario]
I've been running Windows 7 64x Pro for quite awhile (never had an issue) and recently my mouse will randomly disconnect and reconnect. It happens in a split second, basically windows makes that USB disconnect/reconnect sound. A couple times both my mouse and keyboard froze although the PC itself was not frozen. Additionally, all the lights on the mouse and keyboard were still on when that happened. I notice it mostly happens during gaming (fallout new vegas, mass effect 2 for example) although it does happen when I'm just on my desktop web browsing. The keyboard has only froze 1 time, the rest have just been issues with the mouse.

Here are my specs:
Windows 7 64x (6.1 build 7601)
RAM 8192MB RAM
DirectX 11
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz
ASUS P8Z 68-V LE (Bios v0803)
nVidia GeForce 460 (285.62)
Corsair HX 750
mouse: Logitech mx518

As I'm typing this all my temps look fine (CPU: 34c, Mobo 28c). I read several posts that it could be something with Windows 7 saving power, but I've essentially turned off everything that would cause any sort of power shortage to my USB's or PCI buses so I'm out of ideas. I can't figure out whether its a Windows issue, Nvidia, my mouse is just dying (which I don't think it is considering the keyboard froze as well), my motherboard is bad (hope not since I just upgraded in july!)? OH also, I was having the issue, and did a complete reformat and it still occurs, although that doesn't rule out W7 if its a software bug.

I'm in IT so feel free to get technical if you feel you have a possible solution or a suggestion. Thanks for any help, let me know if you need any more info. I did search these forums but other posts didn't seem to have any info I could use.
December 11, 2011 3:19:38 AM

I'm not an IT professional, but I had a similar issue to what you are talking about with my USB HDD. It turned out that it was the male USB end or the wiring around it which was broken and was causing my device to lose it's connection and re connect a second later.

I replaced the whole cord/usb end and now I haven't had an issue since.
December 11, 2011 4:10:05 AM

I'll second that. Some of the USB cables are not of that high of quality. I have see several go bad. Even on better name brand products. You may have to get inside the mouse to fix it on that end. Any usb cable laying around will work. It is just the 4 wires and shield.
Related resources
December 29, 2011 9:46:05 PM

Thank you for the replies.

So to make things more complicated, I took your advice and tugged a bit on my mouse cord (the part connecting directly to the mouse) and sure enough *Bloop bleep* it gave the disconnected sound. Seems because I have my wires wrapped behind my desk, the cord wasn't given enough slack so it was pulling on it a bit too hard.

BUT!

Not 10 minutes ago I was playing a PC game, and my peripherals seemed to freeze. My computer was still running, game was running, I could see skype chat continuing but I could not use my mouse or keyboard. The light on my optical mouse was on, and my keyboard lights were still on. Only solution was a hard reset.... :cry: 

So this still seems to be an issue (separate from my mouse disconnecting). I'm wondering if its a bug in the BIOS because of the new motherboard, maybe its having USB compatibility issues or something? Any more ideas are quite appreciated.

Best solution

December 29, 2011 11:27:01 PM

Even though you are not tugging on the mouse, simply moving it for normal use can cause a break in a worn cable to open, resulting in what you described above. Try using a different mouse and see if the problem persists. As a safety net, keep a usb wireless mouse on hand to be able to plug in for times like these.

If the problematic mouse is the one you prefer to use I would say go ahead and replace it, or if you are handy with repairing things, open it up and shorten the cord a couple inches and reattach the cord.

I doubt it is in the bios. Everything you describe points to a bad cord.
February 14, 2012 6:53:08 PM

Hi,

I have just read your forum thread and I have exactly the same issues as you describe. I was wondering if you managed to sort it. I can see peopl talking about mouse cables but agree with you that this would seem unlikely as while I am gaming my mouse, logitech G13 gaming pad and keyboard all go at the same time. Have tried all of the numerous USB ports I have on my pc but I can not resolve the issues and like you only a hard reset will reset everything.
February 24, 2012 3:23:58 AM

Best answer selected by cchin25.
February 24, 2012 3:28:23 AM

Pyroalien said:
Hi,

I have just read your forum thread and I have exactly the same issues as you describe. I was wondering if you managed to sort it. I can see peopl talking about mouse cables but agree with you that this would seem unlikely as while I am gaming my mouse, logitech G13 gaming pad and keyboard all go at the same time. Have tried all of the numerous USB ports I have on my pc but I can not resolve the issues and like you only a hard reset will reset everything.

I didn't solve the issue as in found what the problem was exactly. I just bought a new mouse and havent had the issue occur since I got it. So it could have been bad wires as mentioned. I also found some posts saying windows 7 didn't work well with older usb mice. Is your mouse relatively new?
February 25, 2012 2:00:25 PM

Thanks for the vote!
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2012 2:41:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!