BSOD after unlocking phenom ii x2 550 BE Asrock N68C-S UCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumfan_920

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
hey guys,

Have any of you ever tried to unlock the phenom ii x2 550 be cpu with an asrock mobo, model n68c-s ucc?

I get bsod after unlocking my cpu from x2 to x4.

The extra cores get registered in bios but whenever i try to restart the system i get bsod.

1. What does this bsod indicate? error STOP: 0x0000007E

2. is this bsod a wrong/invalid bios setting or does it have to do with the memory timing and or voltages?

system:
windows 7 ultimate x64
phenom ii x2 550 be cpu
asrock n68c-s ucc mobo
corsair nova 30gb ssd
markvision 2x2gb ddr2-800 ram
xfx gtx 260 core-216 gpu
msi lightscribe dvd burner
coolermaster extreme 600w psu

Solution
Chips that are fabricated with faulty cores usually have those cores locked or cut, and then are sold as lower end chips. If market demand necessitates it, sometimes perfectly good chips will be locked and sold as a lower end chip.

Unfortunately you get what you pay for and you paid for a lower end chip. Sometimes it can be successfully unlocked, sometimes it cannot. There is no way around this

forumfan_920

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Could be. But this board doesn't have the option to unlock the extra cores separately. You can tweak them separately, though not unlock.

Chips that are fabricated with faulty cores usually have those cores locked or cut, and then are sold as lower end chips. If market demand necessitates it, sometimes perfectly good chips will be locked and sold as a lower end chip.

Unfortunately you get what you pay for and you paid for a lower end chip. Sometimes it can be successfully unlocked, sometimes it cannot. There is no way around this

Solution
Its probably a bad core. although most unlocked, and mine did, without issue. You can try feeding it some extra voltage if you have decent cooling. That may get it going. A valid reason to disable them would be if they couldn't run stable at stock voltage or used too much power. Which a good HSF can take care of.

Side note, that coolermaster PSU is horrible. if you have a decent one lying around might not hurt to try that in case the voltage regulation is really bad. probably wont help but hey if you're bored lol

forumfan_920

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

yeah a friend of mine tried explained the sales strategy behind the so called amd cpu's with the extra cores. not all chips were manufactured faulty, some intensional. they locked some cores down to meet the demands for dual core cpu's. which would explain why some x2 cpu's unlock without a hitch. it all came down to: instead of throwing away a functioning cpu (be it with only at least 2 or 3 cores of the total four cores working) why not sell them as they are functioning. seems reasonable and plausible.

forumfan_920

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

aha, the idea of up'ing the voltage did cross my mind except for 2 problems:
1. i have no understanding whatsoever when it comes down to voltages: i wouldn't know when to stop pushing it and probably burn-out my mobo, taking my whole rig along with it lol.

2. i simply have no understanding about voltages and power feed when it comes to pc's.

there, i said it. i hope your happy dad! lol

aww man... and here i was thinking that i had one of the good psu's tsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.