Quick questions about HIS Radeon HD 6850

bazicdude

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hey guys, just a couple quick questions about the new graphics card I want to buy..

1) Is this even a good card? I keep seeing so many reviews that the cards drivers are horrible, screens tear all the time, the card overheats, the card stops working within 120 days.. too many negative reviews. Has this improved?

2) If this isnt a good card, what is a good card? I have an AMD Athlon™ II X4 Processor 630 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 600w PSU and two monitors (24" and 23")

3) Will my CPU bottleneck this card? I dont think it will but just asking to be on the safe side.. AMD Athlon™ II X4 Processor 630 2.8 GHz

This is the link to the card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-161-348&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

Thanks guys

shrkbay

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
it's not a bad card and new drivers for AMD's cards have improved a lot, never heard that the cards stop working within 120 days, there might be overheating problems, but if you have well wentilated case there won't be any and this is mostly cause of too high overclocking *tearing and overheating* and also almost never seen a lot of negative reviews for that card, it's best card in it's price range, but for 2 monitors it will be too weak, get something like 6950 2GB, your CPU won't bottleneck 6850, but idk about 6950

SesatZ

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

+1
I had HIS 6850 and does`nt had any problem till now (about 4 month). No screen tears, no overheat, and still working perfectly.

The problem of bottlenecking is taking place on what game do you want to play? If you want to play the GPU depending game like Crysis, maybe the difference won`t huge if you upgrade the CPU, but if you want play the CPU depending game like GTA IV, yes, it`s gonna really be bottlenecking.

But, I think your CPU is a little bit too old for 6950. But it just in my opinion.