Laptop Battery Problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2005 1:44:26 PM

Laptop Battery Problem

I just bought a new Toshiba laptop just 2 weeks ago

Satellite M35X- S114 - Win XP with Intel Celeron , 40GB 256 RAM

When I turn on my laptop with the power cord connected to the power
outlet - the battery meter says DISCHARGING and the battery capacity
decreases rapidly and DIES.

1. Why should it DISCHARGE with the power cord connected and power
coming thru?

2. I would expect the opposite..it should charge the battery.

3. Shouldn't it charge when the laptop is ON ?

Is this NORMAL ?

or do I have a defective laptop ?

Should I go back to Circuit City and exchange it ?

Would really appreciate any input.

have I done something wrong ? Do i need to do something to correct this
?

thanks

More about : laptop battery problem

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2005 2:46:19 PM

avacohen100@yahoo.com wrote:
> Laptop Battery Problem
>
> I just bought a new Toshiba laptop just 2 weeks ago
>
> Satellite M35X- S114 - Win XP with Intel Celeron , 40GB 256 RAM
>
> When I turn on my laptop with the power cord connected to the power
> outlet - the battery meter says DISCHARGING and the battery capacity
> decreases rapidly and DIES.
>
> 1. Why should it DISCHARGE with the power cord connected and power
> coming thru?
>
> 2. I would expect the opposite..it should charge the battery.
>
> 3. Shouldn't it charge when the laptop is ON ?
>

> Is this NORMAL ?
>
> or do I have a defective laptop ?
>
> Should I go back to Circuit City and exchange it ?
>

> Would really appreciate any input.
>
> have I done something wrong ? Do i need to do something to correct
> this ?
>
> thanks

This clearly abnormal behavior. Take it back.

June 14, 2005 3:12:38 AM

take it back I agree.

<avacohen100@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Laptop Battery Problem
>
> I just bought a new Toshiba laptop just 2 weeks ago
>
> Satellite M35X- S114 - Win XP with Intel Celeron , 40GB 256 RAM
>
> When I turn on my laptop with the power cord connected to the power
> outlet - the battery meter says DISCHARGING and the battery capacity
> decreases rapidly and DIES.
>
> 1. Why should it DISCHARGE with the power cord connected and power
> coming thru?
>
> 2. I would expect the opposite..it should charge the battery.
>
> 3. Shouldn't it charge when the laptop is ON ?
>

> Is this NORMAL ?
>
> or do I have a defective laptop ?
>
> Should I go back to Circuit City and exchange it ?
>

> Would really appreciate any input.
>
> have I done something wrong ? Do i need to do something to correct this
> ?
>
> thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2005 7:15:16 AM

On 13 Jun 2005 09:44:26 -0700, avacohen100@yahoo.com wrote:

:>Laptop Battery Problem
:>
:>I just bought a new Toshiba laptop just 2 weeks ago
:>
:>Satellite M35X- S114 - Win XP with Intel Celeron , 40GB 256 RAM
:>
:>When I turn on my laptop with the power cord connected to the power
:>outlet - the battery meter says DISCHARGING and the battery capacity
:>decreases rapidly and DIES.
:>
:>1. Why should it DISCHARGE with the power cord connected and power
:>coming thru?
:>
:>2. I would expect the opposite..it should charge the battery.
:>
:>3. Shouldn't it charge when the laptop is ON ?
:>
:>
:>
:>Is this NORMAL ?

Not normal but very common on that model. Another built by Compal model
with their poor quality control.

:>or do I have a defective laptop ?

Could be either the battery or the system board. You can flip a coin since
it's about 50-50 as to which it is. Sometimes it's both.

:>Should I go back to Circuit City and exchange it ?

If they'll take it back it's a good idea. Keep in mind that what you have
is a very common failure on that model and another one may not be any
better. You might want to consider a different model altogether.

:>Would really appreciate any input.

It probably isn't what you wanted to hear but unfortunately until Toshiba
wakes up and stops contracting with Compal to build their "consumer level"
notebooks this kind of stuff will continue to happen.

:>have I done something wrong ? Do i need to do something to correct this
:>?
:>
:>thanks

Good luck,