Your question

Why do i always have to start up twice?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2011 3:13:43 PM

i just built a new computer yesterday, and ever since, i always have to press the power button twice for it to start normally. after i press the first time, the computer would start, but shuts off in like 5 seconds before the monitor even receives the signal. then i press the power button again, it would start normally. any solution?

MB : Asus P8P67 pro rev 3.0
CPU : I7 2600k
Graphic : Zotac Geforce GTX 570
RAM: Mushkin Frostbyte 8GB 2x 4gb DDR 3 1600
Hard Drive : WDC 1TB SATA3 6gb/s
Power Supplies : Corsair TX850 v2 850W

haven't done any overclocking or anything. doesn't even have an OS yet.

thanks for any answers!

More about : start

June 19, 2011 8:03:06 PM

actually. modify my problem a little. now i found out that, i don't have to press the button again, it just shuts off.. then start up itself again
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2011 9:19:29 PM

Some motherboards have a tendency to do that. My EVGA FTW3 (X58) would do a double boot after being disconnected from power.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2011 10:47:20 PM

okay then, as long as its a normal thing, then im not worried! thanks!!!
m
l
June 20, 2011 12:58:59 AM

Mines the same way. I've had it for years now....4-5 years. I think it precharges the compasators the first time then starts up the second.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2011 1:30:46 PM

Could be that the system is failing to boot due to a bad bios setting.

I'd have a go at resetting the bios by removing the motherboard battery for > 20 seconds. Put the battery back in place and see if you get the same issue.

If this doesn't work have a look in the bios and see if any setting looks a little suspicious. Memory speeds / timings / dividers and CPU frequency are the likely candidates.
m
l
June 20, 2011 6:42:39 PM

I had the exact same problem with my Gigabyte board, updating the bios fixed it.
Always take a chance killing the board doing it though, I'm sure you know that though.

:D 
m
l
June 20, 2011 11:19:13 PM

Quote:
doesn't resetting the cmos also reset the bios version? so if you mess up cant you just reset the cmos?

No. Resetting the bios only resets the bios settings. If you install a new bios it will default to whatever the factory settings are, but it will be a different ver. of the bios. So if you change the settings and mess something up, say you change the clock speeds or voltages and can't get the M.B. to boot, then you reset the CMOS, it'll put the speeds or voltages back to what they originally were. It's basically a fail safe for people overclocking. Although, it doesn't mean you can do whatever you want and the board will be ok, so don't go thinking you can push your CPU or Ram to whatever speed you want and be ok because you can still burn your stuff up.

If you mess up updating your bios, then your board will most likely die. Only way to fix it then is soldering in a new bios chip with the right bios on it. Never done that before though, so I couldn't really tell ya about that.
m
l
!