Comuputer hangs when boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

healer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
One of my computers often boots and stops with the following screen. I can't even get to the BIOS when it happens. I am hoping to rectify the problem.

How can I isolate the USB circuit on the motherboard?
How can I be sure this is the motherboard problem, not the processor, so that I can get an appropriate replacement? I have been looking at the BIOS to find out if I can turn off the USB's and see if it would fix the problem. Having done so I hope I can add a PCI card with additional USB ports as replacement.

DRAM Frequency For DDR2 667 (Dual Channel)

Initializing USB Controllers .. Done.
4096MB OK

423C

I suspect the built-in USB circuit on the motherboard faulty. This is an MSI mother board.

When it boots successfully like what happens right now I can see an unknown device from the Device Manager. Such unknown device didn't exist before when the system worked alright. Once the system boots, everything seems to work fine including the USB ports. From then onwards the system would seem to boot fine until I stop having it turned on for a while.

It is also quite unusual to me that there is some hex number at the end of every line as set out below. They look like memory addresses to me. I don't remember seeing them on other Windows systems.

Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CC
Unknown Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

healer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
At this stage I do not worry about the function of the USBs. I just want it to boot successfully. Anyway the USBs seem to work fine when it boots alright. The system just stopped booting successfully though I had not let it stop for a minute. I had been updating the Windows 7 system on this computer. After the system needed to reboot after the update, the problem came back and it wouldn't reboot completely. I suspect I leave it alone for a while it might boot successfully again.

I have thought about the problem of overheat. However I can see the fan is spinning. What else I can look at?

For your information I have tried to install the driver for the unknown device, but I have not been successful though this is a Windows 7 system which is pretty good in finding driver from the Internet.

Anyway I believe the problem happens before the operating system comes in. It looks more like problems with either the motherboard or CPU. I see it stops after initialising USB controllers and an unknown device with the USB on Device Manager when it boots so I suspect the USB and the USB is built into the motherboard so I suspect the motherboard. I incline not to believe the memory is faulty as I have taken one piece of RAM out of the two installed and swap them to test it and the problem remains. The chance of having both RAM faulty is low. Anyway when it happens I can't even boot up a live CD such as UBCD to test the memory. Perhaps I could do so when it can boot next.

healer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
The computer still boots into Windows 7 system successfully most of the time but could fail to boot completely after some time in operation. Could it be overheat problem? The fan is still spinning. Could it still be motherboard issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.