Sign in with
Your question

Computer Turns on, No display.

Last response: in Components
September 14, 2011 8:37:57 AM

hi there, i have an ibm harddrive, going on 4 years old now and it wont turn display anything on the screen when i have turned it on. the harddrive turns on but i cant hear any fans going. the monitor works fine as i hooked it up to my other harddrive to check. Is there any way i can fix this myself without having to endure costly i.t expenses?

More about : computer turns display

September 14, 2011 9:07:34 AM

Im no expert but i dont think you need a harddrive for the monitor to recieve a signal, have you installed the harddrive and since then the screen wont turn on? Maybe it is possible you have knocked something out of place? When i built my first pc a few weeks ago i couldnt get the screen to do anything and it turned out i hadnt seated to RAM perfectly?

Ad
m
l
September 14, 2011 9:28:47 AM

Yes.you need to maybe remove the RAM and put it back again after cleaning off the dust carefully without damaging the hardware.if u got 2 slots for memory u can switch the slots.
I had the same issue and got it fixed this way.remove power cable before doing this.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2011 9:37:26 AM

adam1712 said:
Im no expert but i dont think you need a harddrive for the monitor to recieve a signal, have you installed the harddrive and since then the screen wont turn on? Maybe it is possible you have knocked something out of place? When i built my first pc a few weeks ago i couldnt get the screen to do anything and it turned out i hadnt seated to RAM perfectly?

Ad

mean! thanx for the advice i will try this out tomorrow and hopefully it will work! will let u no how i get on with this. cheers
m
l
September 14, 2011 9:38:58 AM

karanpal singh said:
Yes.you need to maybe remove the RAM and put it back again after cleaning off the dust carefully without damaging the hardware.if u got 2 slots for memory u can switch the slots.
I had the same issue and got it fixed this way.remove power cable before doing this.

massive! thanx for ur advice its much appreciated. il try doin this tomorrow and let u know how i get on. cheers!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2011 10:02:16 AM

kaff01 said:
hi there, i have an ibm harddrive, going on 4 years old now and it wont turn display anything on the screen when i have turned it on. the harddrive turns on but i cant hear any fans going. the monitor works fine as i hooked it up to my other harddrive to check. Is there any way i can fix this myself without having to endure costly i.t expenses?

Ah :)  The problem here is a simple misunderstanding. It's not called a harddrive. The correct term is computer. Sometimes people refer to it as a "CPU" which is also incorrect. Hard drive, or HDD (hard drive disk) is just the small part of the computer where all the data gets stored.

So, you see some signs of power. A light perhaps? Something that makes you think your computer is coming on... but you don't hear fans and nothing comes on your screen.

Has that summed it up?

Why don't you try to explain to us just what you ARE seeing and hearing. Any noise? Any lights? What if you take off the case cover and watch as you turn it on... any movement?
m
l
!