2011 monitor for gaming

trebin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hello, I am looking to buy a new desktop computer. It will have the 580gtx video card and I will use it primarily for gaming but I am also getting in to photo editing and some graphic design. I am looking for a 25" plus monitor for under 400 bucks.

Solution

Well the first benefit is that it's 3d capable if you ever decide you want to try it. The second is that it's 120hz in 2d mode. You're limited to 60 hz (fps) with any standard monitor, so if your 580 is pushing 100 fps you will never actually see it with a 60hz screen.

trebin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I would prefer a 27" and I like the Asus VE276Q. I was considering the dell u2410 but the reviews are spotty for that price and it is not as big as I would like. It appears that the Samsung 350 series is pretty nice but I am not sure how HDMI will look for gaming and text versus using the DVI port.

I too have a GTX580 and recently purchased a new monitor. I did alot or research and fell on the Dell P2411H 24" display.

I am very impressed with this as it is LED backlit and does not need one of those annoying AC/DC bricks, just a standard power cable. The base is great and is identical to the UltraSharp base. I would recommend this model. Asus also make some nice displays, but the Dell has a better external build.

As far as the recommendation for the HP ZR24w, it is an IPS panel so you will get more input lag and a lower refresh, which could be completely unnoticeable. However, it only displays 16.7M colors, which is the same color range as a TN panel. If you are going to fork over the money for an IPS I would get the Dell UltraSharp U2410 with 1.07B colors and is color calibrated. However, unless you are going professional graphics or editing. I'd just get a good TN panel display.

That is what I use it for. It has a mat screen finish, which I like and is good for reducing glare. Unless you want a glossy screen. I think its a solid display. Has a 3 yr warranty also. Monitors have alot to do with preference to.

It has a VGA and DVI in, no HDMI, which some people saw as a con. But it has no build in speakers so who cares the signal is the same.

TN panels can only create 256k actual colors; all of them. Thru the process of temporal dithering a TN panel can blend up to an approximate 16.5m colors. It basically does so by flickering very quickly between two colors to create a 3rd color. For example, red and blue would flicker to create purple. The flickering is so fast that it looks like solid purple.

The ZR24w is an IPS panel monitor can can truly create 16.7m colors, therefore the colors can be more accurate. With 5ms response time and 10ms input lag it can rival many TN panel monitors.

While the Dell U2410 can produce up to 1.07B color with the internal LUT (look up table), a professional graphics card is required. The U2410 has relatively high input lag of around 34ms in standard mode, but about 15ms in gaming mode. As for it's default color accuracy, it is actually pretty bad, worse than the average IPS monitor. However, once calibrate properly it is very good.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Well the first benefit is that it's 3d capable if you ever decide you want to try it. The second is that it's 120hz in 2d mode. You're limited to 60 hz (fps) with any standard monitor, so if your 580 is pushing 100 fps you will never actually see it with a 60hz screen.

Solution

trebin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
How does the alienware aw2310 fair against the asus vg236he. I have seen some reviews but it doesnt really describe how well they look in 2d. I will not be buying the glasses in the beginning and really need it to work well for 2d gaming first and foremost.

elerick

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
I don't want to steal anyones thunder here.
I did alot or research and fell on the Dell P2411H 24" display.

I purchased this week the Dell P2411H 24" display for my wife. After testing, the displays color range is not as good as my works 22" ultra sharp. This might be because my work is LCD and colors are better on LCD vs LED.

As for myself I currently use a 28" panel and wanted to get into the IPS realm of things but pricing kills my dreams of over 24" Ultra-sharp series monitors. Also I saw that another user mentioned they need to be calibrated, on top of that they need a professional graphics card.

What options for monitors do i have?
-My video card is a ATI 6950 2GB (Gaming not firepro video)

My use is for primarily for Gaming, minimal hobbyist level photo editing. What options do i have for that wont set me back $800-$1200.
-I do not need 3D (120Hz)
-I don't care about input lag, I am not a hardcore gamer.

\