Compaq laptop sound - no device problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toe_68

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I have no sound on my laptop compaq Presario, on the sound devices it says no device. There was someone a year ago that had the same problem and I don't seem to see what fixed it. Any suggestions? Thank you

Toe_68

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

I have no idea what a bios is or where to go to download the driver again, It says no sound card when I go to sounds on the control panel. Thank you, Eli

As said above your sound driver probably got knocked out by something. Go to compaq's website, search for the model number of your laptop, there should be a page in the support section that has driver downloads for all your system's devices. Just download and install the latest sound driver.

If that fails, you will have to go into your BIOS. To get there, when you turn on your computer you should see a screen that will tell you to press Delete, F1, F2 or something like that to enter setup. Hit the appropriate key to enter the BIOS. You will have to search through the menu screens to find where it says sound device, and see if it detects a device or not. If no sound device is selected, try to select one. Failing that you can try resetting to setup defaults, that may also reenable your sound if the device got disabled in the BIOS.

If none of the above work, that probably means the onboard sound is dead, and you will have to see about getting the laptop repaired.

geniuzgrost232

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi, for anybody with the problem of <a href="http://laptop-problem.blogspot.com/2012/01/compact-laptop-audio-dissappear-after_21.html">Compact Laptop Sound Missing</a> , you can try to visits the blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.