48gb ram possible with i7 920

G

Hello there,

I have i7 920 (2.8ghz overclocked to 3.4ghz) processor with Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Motherboard. I have currently 24GB ram, but I need to up it to 48gb.

I read from the official intel website that with i7 920 the maximum memory is 24gb, but then I recall reading somewhere on the web as if people are using 48gb with i7 920 processor.

The memory I have been thinking of buying is 3 x Kingston HyperX Blu 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz.

G

So the question I forgot in my last post is that, is it possible to install this kingston 48gb RAM into my Gigabyte motherboard and i7 920?

Not to nitpick but search the forum maybe? Google? LOL

www.tomshardware.com/forum/304996-30-asus-deluxe-48gb-confirmation

x58 MIGHT work if your lucky x79 should the way I read that. I am just quoting the post though.

What on earth do you need that much memory for thought? :)

G

Its for creating music, I need to load tons of samples into memory and that's why i need 48gb of ram. I guess I will have to buy a new computer to get 48gb.

dthesleepless

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
It couldn't hurt to at least try the 48GB first. If you're going to have to rebuild, the worst that'll happen is that you'll carry over the 48GB to the next build.

Good point. I have seen motherboards rated for less before simply because the concept of the bigger chips didn't exist when the board was originally released and couldn't be tested, but it still worked. if it worked for one guy with x58 Chipset, and you're prepared to upgrade if it doesn't work its at least worth a shot.

G

Ok, I contacted the local computer shop and the guy sayd that it would be impossible to install 48gb as even the Gigabyte website states that maximum ram supported on this motherboard is 24gb: http://www.gigabyte.fi/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2958#sp

Also he said that with this motherboard you can use oly 1x 1600mhz per channel, so the memory should be 1333mhz instead.

G

i'd like to update this - I installed 48GB (G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333mhz) on my i7 920 EX58-UD5 machine today, and it is working fine! Windows recognises the RAM correctly and its working very well even not "officially" supported.