Sign in with
Your question

Home Surveillance

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2011 6:50:47 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in building a computer to set up as a CCTV recording machine. I have never done this before and have no idea really where to start or what specs are required. I'm not sure if this is the proper forum but any information or direction provided would be useful. I'd only need two cameras and am trying to keep it relatively inexpensive. Thanks in advance.

More about : home surveillance

June 20, 2011 3:24:44 AM

hmm.. I'll look into it. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2011 3:48:19 AM

No problem, if you scout about you should find a cheaper model, but those things are your cheapest option rather than building a pc to hook cameras up to
Moto
m
l
June 20, 2011 6:58:33 AM

greyghost0 said:
Hello Everyone,

I am interested in building a computer to set up as a CCTV recording machine. I have never done this before and have no idea really where to start or what specs are required. I'm not sure if this is the proper forum but any information or direction provided would be useful. I'd only need two cameras and am trying to keep it relatively inexpensive. Thanks in advance.

Instead of building a comp, I suggest you use a web camera software to set up your basic webcams for surveillance. I personally use GotoCamera's monitoring software. All you need is an off the shelf webcam, which is connected to your computer/laptop. Download the free software and you're good to go. Currently, I'm using the paid version which allows me to use 4 cameras. However, if you're happy with just one, you can use the free service. Here's where you can get more information about GotoCamera - http://gotocamera.com/

Hope this helps.
m
l
June 4, 2013 6:32:02 PM

It’ll be much cheaper and practical if you just use an old camera and laptop and install surveillance software instead of building a computer from scratch. It’ll be way easy too.
A Google search can find you all sorts of tutorials on how to do this.
m
l
!