Looking For Reliable PSU

xcsteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I have an 850 watt OCZ unit right now ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341003 ), and I know it's reliable, but I hate that it's not modular inside my mid-size NZXT Lexa S case. I really want to free up some room with a modular design, but I'm having trouble finding a PSU that fits my needs. First off, I'm guessing I want at least 650 watts because of my power-hungry GPU, but here's my system in case I'm wrong:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
ASUStek ATI 4890
ASRock 890GX PRO3 AM3+ motherboard
(2) 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD (one is WD, the other is Seagate)

I think that's about it in terms of real power draw. I have four 120mm case fans, and I plan on adding a few cathode light bars in the future, but those shouldn't draw much power.

Basically, I'm looking for the cheapest reliable PSU that I can get...something along the lines of Corsair would be nice, but I'd really like to stay as far under $100 as possible. Another thing, though less important, is the fact that I have some nice blue lighting going on in my case, and my OCZ unit also has a blue LED fan. If at all possible, I'd like to find something new with a blue fan.

I know the PSU isn't an area where I want to skimp, which is why I didn't buy this ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152036 ), but aside from what I've heard about reliability from Raidmax, this is exactly what I'm looking for

Anyone have relatively inexpensive suggestions?

Thanks guys,
xcsteve

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
well you dont really need a psu designed for sli/crossfire, do ya?

600w should be fine for you, even 550w may be alright.

i would be concerned about the amperage requirement of that 4890 though. find out what that is and make sure you get a psu to provide it.

im not sure about 'raidmax', never heard of them. if you get something made by corsair, ocz or another top brand like that you should be fine. i think thats the general basic rule with psu's...

xcsteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Nah, I don't really need anything for Crossfire or SLI, but I'd like the ability to maybe go Crossfire with my 4890 at some point...my single card can run Crysis 2 on max settings at 1920x1080, so another one would be a pretty good performance/price ratio increase, if they scale well.

When I plugged the numbers into Newegg's PSU calculator, it recommended 609 watts at least...I imagine that's to give them some overhead and margin for error, but my card does draw a huge amount of power. Also, I forgot to mention it, but I plan on OCing my CPU to about 4GHz. I'm not sure that that'll make much difference, but it may be worth considering. Much more than a GTX460 or anything in that realm, if I remember correctly...so I just want to be sure that I have a fair amount of wiggle room when everything is maxed out.

I know that Corsair, OCZ, Seagate and the likes will do fine for me; I just want to find the cheapest viable solution that's modular (and if possible, has a blue LED which I care about for some reason).

xcsteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

I'd say it's tentative, not contradictory. I'd like the ability, but it's not a necessity...so if there's something reliable and cheap that can handle it, that's great. If not, then one card should suffice. I should have clarified my statement before; my apologies.

xcsteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Whatever...I'm glad we've identified that it's contradictory? Not really the point of this thread, and I've clarified what I intended to say. My two statements are intended to specify that I'm potentially looking for two options, if people can provide two viable solutions.