Sign in with
Your question

New i7 2600k build - DAW and video production

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2011 7:25:18 PM

Hi guys,

Forum newbie here planning my first build. I'm looking to build a pc for Audio production and video editing. I'm planning on using a rackmounted case for portability and use in the field but of course it will have to be as silent as my budget will allow. This will also have to have sufficient cooling so I'm thinking of maybe starting the build with the basics and then adding proper cooling etc. when I've got the extra cash! This means I'll be leaving the overclocking till I can afford proper cooling. I'm also working on a budget at the moment but if needs be I'd would prefer to save up for certain components rather than settle for sub-par parts. Anyways any help would be appreciated!

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Audio production (Cubase) and Video editing

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Approx €1000 to start off the build (without going mad on cooling, that can wait if I'm not planning on overclocking I assume..). Parts sourced mostly from http://www2.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp if possible as shipping is reasonable

3) Where do you live?

Ireland

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, Mobo, RAM, case (rackmounted 4U preferably), graphics card (not really into gaming but will need dual monitor support), hard drives, power supply..and any other misc. items. This is a new build, I have no re-usable components except monitors.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

-

6) Will you be overclocking?

Not until I can afford proper cooling.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

1280 x 1024

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Sometime in the near future!

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

Firewire TI chipset or the ability to add firewire..that's pretty much the only necessity as far as I know

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes, Windows 7 64bit Home Edition

So far I've been recommended these specs for a prelim build :

Intel Core i7-2600K CPU
MSI P67A-G45 Intel P67 ATX Motherboard
2 x Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
GTX 550 Ti Video Card
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Corsair 650TX V2 650W PSU

Any thoughts/alternative suggestions?
June 19, 2011 9:07:30 PM

Unless you are doing a lot of encoding then IMO buy a 2500K and use the money you save to buy a decent monitor .
June 19, 2011 9:59:38 PM

If one of your primary tasks is video editing I would recommend that you invest in at least a 1920x1080 monitor. The added screen real estate will be of significant value to you over 1280x1024.

Outlander_04 said:
Unless you are doing a lot of encoding then IMO buy a 2500K and use the money you save to buy a decent monitor .

Usually I see the 2600K recommended over the 2500K for video editing/transcoding specifically. When the primary use is for gaming, the 2500K offers greater value for money. I am about to invest in a 2600K and I use my computer to do video editing. Will it not have superior performance beyond encoding speeds? i.e. rendering complicated effects?
Related resources
June 19, 2011 10:23:42 PM

Yes the 2600K is better cpu for rendering/ encoding , but not necessarily for simple editing.

and if I had a fixed budget I'd still buy the monitor and the 2500k rather than a 2600k and the existing monitor which will be a huge limitation
June 19, 2011 10:31:31 PM

Outlander_04 said:
Yes the 2600K is better cpu for rendering/ encoding , but not necessarily for simple editing.

and if I had a fixed budget I'd still buy the monitor and the 2500k rather than a 2600k and the existing monitor which will be a huge limitation

thank you for the clarification.

I would also recommend going with the 2500K and using the money saved to invest in a higher resolution monitor to get the most out of your budget CapricornOne :) 
June 19, 2011 10:58:33 PM

Thanks for the responses! The workstation will mainly be utilised as a digital audio workstation with only basic editing jobs done so that's why I was hoping for more suggestions for that end of the spectrum! I'm mainly unsure about the rack setup and how cooling would need to be applied with the i7 cpu overclocked.
June 20, 2011 12:09:35 AM

The 2500 and 2600 OC well even with the stock coolers , but something like a hyper 212 will add more headroom and probably be quieter [ if it fits your case .

I have no experience with rack mount cases
but can recommend the Antec P183 V3 as a potential tower case . It has decent cooling , is very quiet and can mount 6 hard drives if theyre needed .
For a work station then Id use at least two in RAID 1 so you have a real time back up of data. If one drive fails then you lose nothing but a little time replacing it .
!