Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can I trust Aser about Sandy Bridge?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 14, 2011 4:14:02 PM

I have a 1 day old Acer 5750 & Acer's web site states that my serial number does not need service. My unit is discontinued & bought for a good discount, so it makes me wonder. Can I check myself or through a source other than Acer? I would like to know if I am safe as I will return this unit rather than my other options.

Thanks,
kev
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2011 4:19:39 PM

acer 5750 is not sandy bridge, sandy bridge is a line of Intel cpu's
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 4:25:44 PM

omega52 said:
I have a 1 day old Acer 5750 & Acer's web site states that my serial number does not need service. My unit is discontinued & bought for a good discount, so it makes me wonder. Can I check myself or through a source other than Acer? I would like to know if I am safe as I will return this unit rather than my other options.

Thanks,
kev

so do you mean that you want to return the laptop?if you are then you will be fine as long as you have the receipt and it does not say no returns as most products have at least a 7 day period you have to return them
but what i dont get is the title tho, it either very misleading or are you on about something else
m
0
l
Related resources
September 14, 2011 4:29:47 PM

shanky887614 said:
acer 5750 is not sandy bridge, sandy bridge is a line of Intel cpu's


My 5750 has an i7 processor!
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 4:35:05 PM

megadelayed said:
so do you mean that you want to return the laptop?if you are then you will be fine as long as you have the receipt and it does not say no returns as most products have at least a 7 day period you have to return them
but what i dont get is the title tho, it either very misleading or are you on about something else


The title seems pretty clear to me!?!?
The Acer web site, under the Sandy Bridge Defect section, says that my unit does not need service. Am just curious about how accurate this is. I am looking for another way to determine if my unit has the Sandy Bridge defect.
Phone support was totally useless! They wanted to know what happens when I turn it on!!!???

Thanks,
kev
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 4:35:24 PM

omega52 said:
My 5750 has an i7 processor!

i think what he shanky thinks it that your trying to say your laptop is sandy bridge but the i7 in your laptop is certainly a sandy bridge cpu
m
0
l
a c 190 à CPUs
September 14, 2011 4:37:57 PM

Sure you can check the unit yourself. Download and run CPUID on it, this will tell you the processor and chipset. The big issue is if it is that old is it a B2 stepping board with devices connected to those ports. I don't think it will be but you may have to check that out. If it is a B2 board the devices are connect to SATA III ports and there should be no problems.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 4:42:48 PM

omega52 said:
The title seems pretty clear to me!?!?
The Acer web site, under the Sandy Bridge Defect section, says that my unit does not need service. Am just curious about how accurate this is. I am looking for another way to determine if my unit has the Sandy Bridge defect.
Phone support was totally useless! They wanted to know what happens when I turn it on!!!???

Thanks,
kev

what do you mean by do not need service, do you mean that you are experiencing a problem with it currently or do you mean that in future when it breaks to see if you can get service then?
plue there is nothing wrong with the phone service as its normal troubleshooting to try and find out what your problem is
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 4:48:08 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Sure you can check the unit yourself. Download and run CPUID on it, this will tell you the processor and chipset. The big issue is if it is that old is it a B2 stepping board with devices connected to those ports. I don't think it will be but you may have to check that out. If it is a B2 board the devices are connect to SATA III ports and there should be no problems.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team


Thanks Christian.
Any pointers about this that you can provide will be appreciated.
I will run CPUID in a bit.
I just want to make sure my unit is not in the effected lot before I start loading a bunch of software on it. In your experience, have the vendors (Acer) been forthcoming on which units are effected?

Thanks,
kev
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 5:32:54 PM

megadelayed said:
what do you mean by do not need service, do you mean that you are experiencing a problem with it currently or do you mean that in future when it breaks to see if you can get service then?
plue there is nothing wrong with the phone service as its normal troubleshooting to try and find out what your problem is


I'm sorry Mega, but your comprehension is about as bad as the person that I talked to at Acer. I think that you are trying to help & I appreciate the effort, but I can't keep explaining what I mean for you.

Thanks,
kev
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 5:58:25 PM

omega52 said:
Thanks Christian.
Any pointers about this that you can provide will be appreciated.
I will run CPUID in a bit.
I just want to make sure my unit is not in the effected lot before I start loading a bunch of software on it. In your experience, have the vendors (Acer) been forthcoming on which units are effected?

Thanks,
kev

i dont think there was a lot of laptops shipped with the B2 bug but still check to be safe, if it does though do ring acer and tell them you have the version the the motherboard bug as the effects are not noticeable within a short amount of time(it takes something like a few years for the bug to develop) and if acer does not give you the choice for the replacement/refund then it should be fine in the meantime, but when it does fail tho, the data on the hdd is not effected, its just a port failure. or if your laptop has SATA 3 connectors then connect your hdd to that instead if its not already.

as for the website, im guessing that when acer says you do not need service in the defects section its probably that your model was released after the B2 period and there was never any of that model shipped with B2, in that case i would check just in case and if it is the B3 after all then there are no problems
m
0
l
a c 190 à CPUs
September 14, 2011 6:12:33 PM

All the B2 board should have been recalled and sent back to us. The only way for a B2 to still be out there is if the company with unit permanently disabled the SATA II ports on the board. Since this is a laptop and there would have still been a couple SATA III ports to run the CD/DVD drive and the hard drive it shouldn’t be an issue, if those devices were plugged into the SATA III ports. Just so you know I havent heard of anyone getting an old B2 board after the recall.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 6:33:04 PM

megadelayed said:
i dont think there was a lot of laptops shipped with the B2 bug but still check to be safe, if it does though do ring acer and tell them you have the version the the motherboard bug as the effects are not noticeable within a short amount of time(it takes something like a few years for the bug to develop) and if acer does not give you the choice for the replacement/refund then it should be fine in the meantime, but when it does fail tho, the data on the hdd is not effected, its just a port failure. or if your laptop has SATA 3 connectors then connect your hdd to that instead if its not already.

as for the website, im guessing that when acer says you do not need service in the defects section its probably that your model was released after the B2 period and there was never any of that model shipped with B2, in that case i would check just in case and if it is the B3 after all then there are no problems


Thanks mega, I will check. I appreciate your attention to this.

kev
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 6:39:24 PM

Thanks for all of your quick responses. This issue was new to me & I needed to know where I stand, so, if I needed to exchange the unit, I would & get on with using it. I already exchanged an HP for this one after having just got all my SW loaded & a bunch of info & profiles migrated over when it failed.

Cheers,
kev
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 7:10:36 PM

OK, what info am I looking for in CPUID, PC WIZARD?
Laptop manufacture date is 1101.

Chipset: intel Sandy Bridge Rev, 09
Southbridge: intel HM65 Rev. B2
Proc: intel core i7-2620QM
Family: 6 Model: A Stepping: 7
Ext. fam: 6 Ext. Model: 2A Rev: D2

Disk Controller : Intel Cougar Point 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
Port #0 : ATA Device detected - (Generation 2) - [HotPlug No]
NorthBridge : Intel Sandy Bridge
SouthBridge : Cougar Point LPC Controller

NorthBridge Information :
Architecture : Direct Media Interface (DMI)
Manufacturer : Intel (Acer)
Codename : Cougar Point
Revision : 09


Thanks,
kev
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 4:11:02 PM

omega52 said:
OK, what info am I looking for in CPUID, PC WIZARD?
Laptop manufacture date is 1101.

Chipset: intel Sandy Bridge Rev, 09
Southbridge: intel HM65 Rev. B2
Proc: intel core i7-2620QM
Family: 6 Model: A Stepping: 7
Ext. fam: 6 Ext. Model: 2A Rev: D2

Disk Controller : Intel Cougar Point 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
Port #0 : ATA Device detected - (Generation 2) - [HotPlug No]
NorthBridge : Intel Sandy Bridge
SouthBridge : Cougar Point LPC Controller

NorthBridge Information :
Architecture : Direct Media Interface (DMI)
Manufacturer : Intel (Acer)
Codename : Cougar Point
Revision : 09


Thanks,
kev

yep it does seem that you have the B2 stepping chipset as the south bridge stepping proves
m
0
l
September 16, 2011 10:24:33 PM

No worries. There were quite a few other things that I didn't like about that notebook, so I exchanged it. I am happy with my new Asus u56e-XR2. It's an i5-2410M & I like the build quality & materials way more than the Acer. Fan is very quiet & it's pretty fast.
Thanks for all of your help.
cheers,
kev
m
0
l
!