Should I upgrade my h67 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-ZincaTe-

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
I am thinking about changing my motherboard to a different chipset say z77 or z68. Really i know shouldnt upgrade because as of right now i do not plan on overclocking or doing a dual or triple gpu setup also my cpu is the i5-2300 so i just want to know if i should upgrade just for the sake of it? or to future proof myself?

Solution
First of all, future-proof is not a good term to use with regard technology. Consider what you have as new will do a decent job for 2-3 years. Know that a year after you buy something, it's pretty much old news.

If you're not overclocking or don't require anything that goes along with ivy bridge (ie better integrated video) and won't be upgrading your processor as well, there's no benefit to changing your motherboard unless you need more SATA ports, PCIe ports or additional / faster USB. Ask yourself if what you currently have does what you need/want it to. If so, you don't need an upgrade.
Short answer...No.

The value of Z77 or Z68 is that it allows you to overclock a "K" cpu.

Usually, it is wrong to try to buy "future proof" parts.
Invariably, the future brings better and cheaper parts.

If you have the itch to upgrade, there are likely better ways to spend your cash.

-ZincaTe-

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

care to elaborate? Excluding the motherboard I will be upgrading the case, psu, and the video card.

First of all, future-proof is not a good term to use with regard technology. Consider what you have as new will do a decent job for 2-3 years. Know that a year after you buy something, it's pretty much old news.

If you're not overclocking or don't require anything that goes along with ivy bridge (ie better integrated video) and won't be upgrading your processor as well, there's no benefit to changing your motherboard unless you need more SATA ports, PCIe ports or additional / faster USB. Ask yourself if what you currently have does what you need/want it to. If so, you don't need an upgrade.

Solution

-ZincaTe-

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Consider what you have as new will do a decent job for 2-3 years. Know that a year after you buy something, it's pretty much old news.

Very friendly advice, thank you. I guess I don't need a new motherboard.

What are the rest of your parts?
What do you wish to accomplish with an upgrade?
What is your budget?

If you will upgrade your graphics card, I assume it is for gaming.

From a cpu point of view, the i3-2300 is a very capable chip.

Your graphics card upgrade will be the driver of your psu requirements.

A case upgrade is rarely a requirement for functionality. It is usually for style, or fun.
I can't argue against a case change though. You need to love the case you are working with.

-ZincaTe-

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Well I'm running a i5-2300, 6GB of ram, a 1.5 tb hard drive, a multi-card reader and a optical drive. and no discrete video card.My reason for upgrading is gaming, and my budget is about ~$400

-ZincaTe-

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

well thats the thing my case is very bad, it is a micro tower but my motherboard is a atx motherboard so i need a new case :??:
Also, I already selected the psu and the video card

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102986 ( as of right now it is out of stock but this was the one i was going to choose)
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&cm_sp=Cat_Computer_Cases-_-Spotlight-_-11-129-066

EDIT: the case is also very small since it is a micro tower and it also has very bad airflow

Three most excellent selections.

Status
Not open for further replies.