Sign in with
Your question

New Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM

Last response: in Motherboards
June 4, 2012 3:38:17 PM

-"HyperFormance™ Technology boosts your discrete graphics card up to 60% beyond its original performance through the test of 3DMark Vantage". What are they talking about? How can they boost the performance of a discrete graphics card?

-They seem to have crammed every imaginable feature into this board, included a built in 32GB SSD. What CPUs is the Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM designed for? It seems to be overkill for the i7-3770K. Is there a new Intel CPU on the horizon that matches the board in price and performance?

-I would rather see these features in an X79 board, where they would not be wasted!

More about : asus p8z77 premium

a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 4:51:19 PM

Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM gives you

WiFi IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n
SATA 6Gb/s: 6 x SATA 6Gb/s
Upto 2800(O.C.) memory support
Bluetooth V4.0 and Bluetooth V3.0+HS
PCI Express 3.0 x16: 4slots [ dual x16 or x16, x8, x8 or quad x8 ]
ETC

Since it's LGA 1155 socket it's design for Intel 3rd Gen i.e. IVY BRIDGE CPU's and [ Z77 CHIPSET ] backward compatible Intel 2nd Gen i.e. SANDY BRIDGE

Not compatible with other LGA XXXX CPU's
Related resources
June 4, 2012 6:35:18 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
PCI Express 3.0 x16: 4slots [ dual x16 or x16, x8, x8 or quad x8 ]

Since it's LGA 1155 socket it's design for Intel 3rd Gen i.e. IVY BRIDGE CPU's and [ Z77 CHIPSET ] backward compatible Intel 2nd Gen i.e. SANDY BRIDGE

Can the current Ivy Bridge CPUs handle four x8 PCIe 3.0 lanes? I thought they could not handle 32 lanes.

In any event, I guess my point is who would spend this kind of money on a motherboard for a mid-range CPU like the i7-3770? If Intel releases a higher-end version of the 3770 that is still LGA 1155, then this motherboard could be much more attractive.
a b V Motherboard
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 6:56:13 PM

ratsa said:
-"HyperFormance™ Technology boosts your discrete graphics card up to 60% beyond its original performance through the test of 3DMark Vantage". What are they talking about? How can they boost the performance of a discrete graphics card?

-They seem to have crammed every imaginable feature into this board, included a built in 32GB SSD. What CPUs is the Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM designed for? It seems to be overkill for the i7-3770K. Is there a new Intel CPU on the horizon that matches the board in price and performance?

-I would rather see these features in an X79 board, where they would not be wasted!

How's it wasted? I for one would like to be able to get dual PCIe 3.0 x16/x16 support without having to pay $500+ for a CPU... I don't really have a need for any of the x79 CPUs, but I'd like to game on 3D surround at some point :D 

nowadays you don't need a high-end CPU for gaming and most other purposes (except extensive visualization etc).
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 7:01:17 PM

i7 IVY BRIDGE is newer version of Intel CPU's for LGA1155

In reality most of people not use 4 cards they rather go with 1 high end card or do CROSSFIRE/SLI as there needs to get work done
a b V Motherboard
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 7:07:02 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
i7 IVY BRIDGE is newer version of Intel CPU's for LGA1155

In reality most of people not use 4 cards they rather go with 1 high end card or do CROSSFIRE/SLI as there needs to get work done

I guess I just find the board to be perfectly designed for people like me. I don't need a $1000 dollar CPU, which a properly OCed i7 3770 give you just about the same performance as other X79 CPUs anyway. meanwhile, I get a 32GB SSD to either run my barebones OS, or in my case I'd set it up as cache for a 3TB HDD (and run the OS on a 90/120gb SSD). meanwhile, for 3D surround ideally I'd want something like tri-SLI 680s. so this board would be prefect haha
June 4, 2012 7:07:26 PM

vmem said:
How's it wasted? I for one would like to be able to get dual PCIe 3.0 x16/x16 support without having to pay $500+ for a CPU... I don't really have a need for any of the x79 CPUs, but I'd like to game on 3D surround at some point :D 

My current understanding is that dual PCIe 3.0 x16/x16 is wasted on LGA1155 chips because despite the support in the mother board, the chips themselves cannot handle that much bandwidth.

For example, look at the specs on Intel page. The listed PCI Express Configurations do not include 2x16.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65719/Intel-Core-i7-3770-...(8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz)

I could be mistaken about this, so if anyone has information to the contrary, please let us know.
a b V Motherboard
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 7:10:20 PM

ratsa said:
My current understanding is that dual PCIe 3.0 x16/x16 is wasted on LGA1155 chips because despite the support in the mother board, the chips themselves cannot handle that much bandwidth.

For example, look at the specs on Intel page. The listed PCI Express Configurations do not include 2x16.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65719/Intel-Core-i7-3770-...(8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz)

I could be mistaken about this, so if anyone has information to the contrary, please let us know.

You're correct, however my understanding was that it's a lack of bandwidth. when I find it I'll link you, but I know Asus installs an additional PCIe 3.0 switch to basically add another PCIe 3.0 x16 lane to what Intel originally has...
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 7:15:52 PM

vmem said:
I guess I just find the board to be perfectly designed for people like me. I don't need a $1000 dollar CPU, which a properly OCed i7 3770 give you just about the same performance as other X79 CPUs anyway. meanwhile, I get a 32GB SSD to either run my barebones OS, or in my case I'd set it up as cache for a 3TB HDD (and run the OS on a 90/120gb SSD). meanwhile, for 3D surround ideally I'd want something like tri-SLI 680s. so this board would be prefect haha

That's what i listed above since every user isn't same
June 4, 2012 7:17:16 PM

vmem said:
I don't need a $1000 dollar CPU, which a properly OCed i7 3770 give you just about the same performance as other X79 CPUs anyway. meanwhile, I get a 32GB SSD to either run my barebones OS, or in my case I'd set it up as cache for a 3TB HDD (and run the OS on a 90/120gb SSD). meanwhile, for 3D surround ideally I'd want something like tri-SLI 680s. so this board would be prefect haha

--A good X79 CPU is currently $570, not $1,000, and when OC'd will beat the pants off an OC'd 3770K.

--32GB SSD is a nice enough feature, but you could buy one yourself for a lot less. In fact, to be really useful it should be bigger than 32GB.

--If you really want tri-SLI, there are cheap X79 boards that will do tri-SLI without the bandwidth limitations that are built into the 3770K chip.

Don't get me wrong, I love innovation and new features, but I am still puzzled with this board. It still seems to me like a high-end board aimed at a middle of the road CPU.
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 7:22:37 PM

I'll spend $500 on X79 mobo rather than Z77
June 4, 2012 7:22:42 PM

vmem said:
Asus installs an additional PCIe 3.0 switch to basically add another PCIe 3.0 x16 lane to what Intel originally has...

They can add as many lanes as they want to the motherboard and it won't make a difference because the current CPUs don't support that many lanes. Right?
a b V Motherboard
a c 91 U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 7:35:18 PM

ratsa said:
They can add as many lanes as they want to the motherboard and it won't make a difference between the current CPUs don't support that many lanes. Right?

Honestly not sure... You'd really have to have a pair of gtx 690s to max out a PCIe3.0 x8 lane, and even there it'll only be bottle necked by like 3%. perhaps you're right. there're only 1155 pins in the socket, I guess either way it would be hardly noticeable, at least with the current video card market

as far as gaming goes, you get minimalistic gains beyond an unlocked i5 so I've always preferred to stay away from the enthusiast CPUs to save some money. but you guys're right, $500 is a bit steep for a mobo like this... you can get a ROG x79 for less than that :o 
!