Sign in with
Your question

Can't get 2 sticks of RAM to work in new build

Last response: in Motherboards
June 4, 2012 3:40:27 PM

Been working on this for weeks. I have 2 x 4GB RAM and can get one stick to work but not both.

Tested each stick seperately in each of the 4 slots and had no problems.
Tested both sticks in A1/B1 and A2/B2 and the system isn't stable. I can boot into Win7 but get BSOD fairly soon even if just sitting idle.

Thinking about ordering some more RAM because I don't mind having 16GB and it's something I could test with either way.

MB: BioStar TZ77XE4 (updated to latest BIOS and BioStar says there is no issue with my RAM compatibility....they suggest bad CPU)
CPU: i5-3570K
RAM: GSkill Ripjaw X DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 2x4GB

Any help? Could I need to up the voltage? Is this safe to my hardware? Sorry, but I am new to some of this.

Tried for help in the Homebuilt forum but no response.

More about : sticks ram work build

a c 125 V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 4:59:50 PM

Try upping the ram voltage to either match the ram if it doesn't now, or, up the voltage .05 above what's stock voltage for the ram.
m
l
June 4, 2012 5:33:54 PM

I know it's 1.5V RAM and the BIOS either shows Auto or 1.5V. I don't remember what the stock setting was since I updated the BIOS.

I will try to manually set it to 1.55V if possible. I just wasn't sure about whether that was safe to do or not.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 5:42:38 PM

You do know you are supposed to put dual sticks in the same colored ram slots, right? It should tell you how to install the ram chips in your manual.
m
l
June 4, 2012 5:49:59 PM

ahnilated said:
You do know you are supposed to put dual sticks in the same colored ram slots, right? It should tell you how to install the ram chips in your manual.

Yea, manual pairs A1/B1 and A2/B2. I have heard of the manual being wrong so I tested it just in case and that wouldn't even boot up.

At least in A1/B1 and A2/B2 I can boot up into Windows for a while.
m
l
June 5, 2012 12:13:38 AM

Tried the DRAM Voltage at:

Auto
1.50V (Default)
1.548V

The best I got was steady boot into Win7 for about 10 mins with surfing only.

Anything else to try?

Still very stable with 1 RAM stick.
m
l
June 5, 2012 12:50:11 AM

1,524V put me in a constant reboot cycle.
m
l
June 5, 2012 8:14:43 PM

Why would upping the voltage on the DRAM just a little put my comp into a reboot cycle?

I should be able to tell something with all this data.

Was there anything else I needed to bump up other than the DRAM Voltage?
m
l
June 18, 2012 1:03:11 PM

Solved the problem. Bought some new RAM and it all works fine now. I had tested the old RAM pretty well too.

Just posting this here in case someone else ends up with the same problem. I tried everything. BioStar wanted me to ship them the motherboard to take a look at. Glad I didn't waste a month or two doing that.

Thanks for the help!!
m
l
!