Can't get 2 sticks of RAM to work in new build

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Been working on this for weeks. I have 2 x 4GB RAM and can get one stick to work but not both.

Tested each stick seperately in each of the 4 slots and had no problems.
Tested both sticks in A1/B1 and A2/B2 and the system isn't stable. I can boot into Win7 but get BSOD fairly soon even if just sitting idle.

Thinking about ordering some more RAM because I don't mind having 16GB and it's something I could test with either way.

MB: BioStar TZ77XE4 (updated to latest BIOS and BioStar says there is no issue with my RAM compatibility....they suggest bad CPU)
CPU: i5-3570K
RAM: GSkill Ripjaw X DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 2x4GB

Any help? Could I need to up the voltage? Is this safe to my hardware? Sorry, but I am new to some of this.

Tried for help in the Homebuilt forum but no response.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I know it's 1.5V RAM and the BIOS either shows Auto or 1.5V. I don't remember what the stock setting was since I updated the BIOS.

I will try to manually set it to 1.55V if possible. I just wasn't sure about whether that was safe to do or not.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012

Yea, manual pairs A1/B1 and A2/B2. I have heard of the manual being wrong so I tested it just in case and that wouldn't even boot up.

At least in A1/B1 and A2/B2 I can boot up into Windows for a while.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Tried the DRAM Voltage at:

Auto
1.50V (Default)
1.548V

The best I got was steady boot into Win7 for about 10 mins with surfing only.

Anything else to try?

Still very stable with 1 RAM stick.

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Why would upping the voltage on the DRAM just a little put my comp into a reboot cycle?

I should be able to tell something with all this data.

Was there anything else I needed to bump up other than the DRAM Voltage?

gtechman

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Solved the problem. Bought some new RAM and it all works fine now. I had tested the old RAM pretty well too.

Just posting this here in case someone else ends up with the same problem. I tried everything. BioStar wanted me to ship them the motherboard to take a look at. Glad I didn't waste a month or two doing that.

Thanks for the help!!