Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Issues after flashing to 6970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2011 5:57:59 PM

Hello, I recently flashed my Gigabyte 2GB 6950 to 6970 using the steps found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...

I used the downloadable files in step two and flash using the batch files.

After flashing and changing overclock to +20% I get weird effects in SC2. Even though I get around 200FPS in the game, I am having sections of the screen flash (like triangles with black edges) which looks like "tearing". I am connected using DVI to two monitors (24 and 20.1) and playing on the 24". Any advice on 1. what this effect is called or 2. what I can do to fix this?

More about : issues flashing 6970

Best solution

a c 355 U Graphics card
April 6, 2011 6:09:44 PM

1. It's called video artifacts

2. Reduce your overclock and probably flash it back a HD 6950.

Those are clear signs that the GPU and memory are being stressed beyond safe limits. Prolonged usage can have severe consequences.
April 6, 2011 6:18:55 PM

I reverted back to the 6950 stock bios (from a backup I made). Would it benefit me in an RTS to even worry about the shader unlock or should I just leave it stock/stock as the benefits of >60FPS would not be too noticeable?

BTW, thanks for the prompt reply/courtesy.

Also, does changing the Overdrive in CCC make the change right away or do I have to reboot for it to take affect? If it does happen right away, would a program like SC2 needs to be closed/reopened to see the difference?
Related resources
a c 355 U Graphics card
April 6, 2011 6:28:52 PM

For an RTS it shouldn't matter.

Technically speaking, a LCD monitor cannot display more than 60 frames per second if you have a regular 60Hz LCD monitor since data is only being transmitted 60 times per second from the video card to the monitor. A 120Hz LCD monitor would technically have a max of 120FPS.
April 6, 2011 7:07:08 PM

Best answer selected by Antibody.
!