slayermayer318

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hello, I have a pc built custom off new egg and I think I may have fried my mobo. I am not very computer savy but I'll explain my situation best I can. I have a ballast for a light plugged in under my computer and it has an inline splitter, I had unplugged the splitter when I was moving around monitors. When I went to re-connect the two plugs for the light it just so happens that there was a usb cable plugged into my comp with the same size connector....yeah... So basicly I grabbed that one by mistake, there was a big spark and my pc shut off. I tried to restart the comp with no response. The only life I see in the comp is a flishing light and a noise that comes out of the speakers everytime the light blinks. I tried turning off the power supply and letting it drain till the light went off, waited a few more minutes after that, then turned back on. No luck with that. At this point all I can figure from the info i have gathered is that my mobo is fried... or my powersupply is dead/blown fuse. Though can't see how it would be the powersupply since the shock went to the usb port. Any help with troubleshooting my problem would be great. Thanks, Matt.

slayermayer318

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

I can get one, do you think it could be the power supply even though i introduced the shock to the usb port?

raistlinn

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
I have never heard of this exact situation but hope that it's one or the other n not both. I don't know what models of each you have, but to replace either is not a drastic price difference, depending on your needs. I imagine it's possible that your cpu, gpu, or ram could be fried too. Just go by step by step.
I would check the power supply first. Then check the other components on a known working system until you figure out the problem. If you don't have access to another computer to test stuff out, I imagine a local computer repair shop would help you.
Let's say power supply works. I wouldn't just buy a mobo til I found out all the other components still functioned.