Sign in with
Your question

Need revision on build

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2011 1:03:51 AM

Approximate Purchase Date:N 2.5 weeks

Budget Range: would like it to be lower

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming first, school usage second.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard/headset/mouse/monitor(have mine coming in tomorrow for this rig build.)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com and any site that has a cheaper deal then them.

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: Um right now im goin the intel way with my system for sandybridge upgradeablity

Overclocking: Not now but in the future because of my build restrictions wil lneed to upgrade later

SLI or Crossfire: Yes crossfire support

Monitor Resolution:This is the monitor im gettin dont really know what kind of resolution ill use yet

Additional Comments:Ya heres my build as of now and its a little high and would love some recomendations on how to save on some of my budget. a 100 dollars less would be ideal!!!

as of now it is 718.01 WITH shipping and i get 45 dollars from MIR

Samsung DVD/CD combo
$19.99

Rosewill Challenger Case
$49.99

Samsung F3 1tb 7200RPM
$59.99

Radeon 6850 HD with free dirt3/ lifetime warranty and $25 MIR
$164.99 BEFORE MIR

Cooler Master 650W 80+ certified
$79.99 BEFORE MIR

Gskill 4GB (2X2)
$38.99

MSI pimp board lol p67 sli/crossfire support
$124.99 BEFORE MIR would really like to save here but i cant find a mobo with future upgradeability for cheaper. D:

i3-2100 sandybridge
$124.99

Windows 7 64-bit
$44(gettin student discount electronic dl and disc kit sent to me!!!)

i would like to save money and generally still get great performance with a clear upgradeability path. I would try AMD but i just dont see if its worht it or not. i mean the i3 pretty much beats the crap out of there cpus already and its the weakest of the sandy bridges.

PLZ let me know what u think and alternate build choices would be awsome.

Also question fore me cause im newb 2 buidling. will i need to buy extra SATA cables for my Hard drive and dvd/cd combo? if so what types would i need 2 get thanks again!

More about : revision build

June 20, 2011 1:26:07 PM

You need to provide us with details on what your intended future upgrade is.

If you literally cannot afford the additional $100 then your only options are:
- Reduce the spec of the system. Perhaps choose a cheaper GPU model.
- Sacrifice the ability of the future upgrade (need more details but picking up an mATX will save you some)

The motherboard generally comes with SATA cables to connect your optical and hard drives so there is no need to purchase these cables.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2011 8:42:25 PM

um im not sure what i am willing to sacrifice but would accept any ideas on reducing cost. if i should go for a cheaper mobo/gpu then plz give me examples

would like to lose as little amount of performance as possible.

also should i jsut go for an AMD build for cheaper and get a better gpu?
m
l
June 20, 2011 8:44:27 PM

Rusting In Peace said:
You need to provide us with details on what your intended future upgrade is.

If you literally cannot afford the additional $100 then your only options are:
- Reduce the spec of the system. Perhaps choose a cheaper GPU model.
- Sacrifice the ability of the future upgrade (need more details but picking up an mATX will save you some)

The motherboard generally comes with SATA cables to connect your optical and hard drives so there is no need to purchase these cables.

what is an mATX and i can sacrifice the ability for crossfire if that would help. but i would like to have OCing abilites in teh future if that would be possible. what do u think?
m
l
June 20, 2011 8:57:46 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
why?

lepa is part of enermax

all the lepa psu's use enermax guts
m
l
June 20, 2011 9:03:41 PM

and what does that have to do with anything we were talking about budget 650w psu's
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:20:51 PM

if u guys wanna debate psu's thats good and dandy but id like just talk about my issue in the thread. thanks.

i just dont knwo what to do should i get a cheaper mobo and gpu? maybe save 50 dollars on the mobo and 25 on the gpu what do u think?
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:28:15 PM

keep what you have change the cooler master PSU unless you need money then drop to a mobo that doesn't support sli (aka the micro boards, and also your PSU needs to have a higer watt for SLI) or go amd. Not much you can do. I wouldn't go amd tho.
m
l
June 21, 2011 12:50:11 AM

i think im gonna change my mobo to this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

better interface then the other with the angled satas instaed of laying flat on the mobo and only real drawback is no sli/crossfire which i dont plan on pursuing with this pc i have decided.
m
l
June 21, 2011 1:00:35 AM

if i have the money i think ill be goin with this newegg combo deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

is 514.50

with the radeon 6850 i picked out it will be

then with 20 dollar dvd/cd combo

then add on my OS special buy

about 743$

ya i think that would be pretty fin good if i can get that on the 1st of july is when i will be purchasing my rig!

but plz give feedback about posts above incase i need to lower price
m
l
June 21, 2011 9:02:30 AM

The combo deal seems like a decent enough route.

Know you are trying to reduce the amount you're spending but for the GPU, if you can afford the extra 20 bucks, I'd go for this Ice-Q HIS version of the 6850.

If you are looking to reduce the cost then why don't you consider a 6790 instead? Tom's Charts doesn't put the 6850 and the 6790 miles apart.

If you don't care about crossfire or USB3.0 then perhaps consider this ASRock. Asus or maybe even this Gigabyte with USB3.0.
m
l
June 21, 2011 7:38:29 PM

j3d1 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

would this be a good replacement PSU instead of the cooler master?

the xfx i listed above is the psu you should get. about the same price as that one too

im sorry for the debate. i dont know what obsidian86 was talking about. i was trying to stop him
m
l
June 21, 2011 9:44:00 PM

thats ok i just appreciate the help!
m
l
June 21, 2011 9:59:22 PM

i think i might go for the 6790 instead can always uprgrade later to a better card right?
m
l
June 21, 2011 11:47:24 PM

it depends what resolution and settings your are playing at. the 6850 will get you by at 1080p with not the highest settings . i dont know about the 6790 though
m
l
!