Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Psu for the future.. What outputs should I look for

Last response: in Components
September 14, 2011 9:31:23 PM

I'm going to suck it up and buy a new psu (rather than bust up my build by trying a dual psu).

My question is:What outputs in a psu should I look for in case I decide to upgrade my gpu later on down the road? Are the newer gpu's using 8 pin pci-e's or generally staying with the 6 pin's? Any other random info would be helpful too.

Thanks!

More about : psu future outputs

Best solution

a c 148 ) Power supply
September 14, 2011 9:41:32 PM

Did you mean a new gpu or psu?

If your psu is a good quality unit, and has sufficient power, it will have all the leads you need. A gpu will usually come with a 6 or 8 pin adapter if it needs one, in case your psu does not have one. Here is a list of what several graphics cards require:

GTX550ti needs 400w with 24a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin PCI-E power lead.

GTX560 needs 450w with 24a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX560Ti needs 500w with 30a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX570 needs 550w with 38a on the 12v rails plus two 6-pin PCI-E power leads.

GTX580 needs 600w with 42a on the 12v rails plus one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-E power lead.

GTX590 needs 700w with 50a on the 12v rails plus two 8-pin PCI-E power leads or 4 6-pin power leads.
September 14, 2011 9:48:02 PM

Sorry about the typo, I had originally posted it as needing a new gpu when I meant psu.

Soo.. what I'm understanding is that the higher end gpu's (and I can assume any that come out in the future) are going to move towards 8 pin pci-e inputs?
m
l
Related resources
a c 148 ) Power supply
September 14, 2011 9:54:26 PM

dj nance said:
Sorry about the typo, I had originally posted it as needing a new gpu when I meant psu.

Soo.. what I'm understanding is that the higher end gpu's (and I can assume any that come out in the future) are going to move towards 8 pin pci-e inputs?

Not necessarily. The new cards will be 28nm process, meaning that they will take less power and run cooler. Of course, they may get extra circuits to make use of the new technology. There is just one beast of a card today that used 3 8 pin adapters. We won't see that again. Manufacturers want to reduce the power draw if they can.

Just get a quality psu of sufficient capacity. My short list would include Seasonic, PC P&C, Corsair, Antec and XFX.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 14, 2011 9:57:19 PM

i say, get one with at least 1 x 8 pin cpu 12v connector, 1 x 6+2 pin pcie connector, sata connectors. Obviously get a decent brand. most good brands in the 500w+ range should have all these connectors. as geofelt said, you cant go wrong with Antec, corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C and XFX.
m
l
September 14, 2011 10:07:16 PM

Which is your current set up? Do you have plans for a multiple GPU set up?. As long as you stick with the brands already named, you'll be fine.
m
l
September 22, 2011 6:03:54 PM

Best answer selected by dj nance.
m
l
!