Sign in with
Your question

Movies / Light gaming build

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2011 1:04:12 AM

Hi everybody!

I'm trying to build my first computer, and I'm wondering if the parts that I chose are any good! Please give me any advice that you might have!

Approximate Purchase Date: This week, or next two weeks

Budget Range: Under 1000 including everything

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Watching HD movies, playing some games, internet

Parts Not Required: Need everything

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: USA?

Parts Preferences: No Preference

Overclocking: Don't want to

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1600:900

Additional Comments: I'm not picky at all, just want something that can watch HD movies, play current games

Here is the build that I've picked out, and I'm open to changing anything:

Combo from newegg: Combo

Monitor / Keyboard: Monitor / Keyboard

Windows: Windows

Graphics Card: (this is what I'm the most unsure about) Video Card

Let me know what you think!

Many Thanks!
June 20, 2011 1:33:58 AM

its really hard to tell what you need without mentioning any games in particular. this combo will be a better deal for you based on your needs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...
the i5 will perform just as well as the i7 in games, and is much cheaper. the i5-2500k can be overclocked, but the combo deal is so good, it doesnt really matter if you plan on doing it or not, imo. If you feel like finding parts yourself, an i5-2500 or i5-2400 with an h61 or h67 mobo would do the trick. The combo also has a much more reliable psu.

If you want to play modern games at high settings, youll want to portion much more of your budget towards the graphics card. with the money you save with this combo, you can afford a much more powerful one. I think the 6870 has the best value at current prices:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the monitor, youd be amazed at the difference an inch makes. I would go for at least a 22". I also find wireless keyboards and mice to be silly and annoying, unless you need to use them on a couch or something.
m
l
June 20, 2011 1:58:10 AM

It ends up being about the same price, so i'll go with your recommendation. Thanks!
m
l
June 20, 2011 1:59:56 AM

Also, will i need to buy some sort of cooling system? I'm totally new to this, so bear with me!
m
l
!