Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Requesting advice on Sandy bridge build

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2011 1:52:47 AM

I followed the guide when making this post, but it’s very possible I put it in the wrong place or mis-formatted something. If I did I’m terribly sorry, let me know and I’ll fix it. I’m about to go through with this build and purchase the parts, but this is my first build, and I may be doing something fabulously stupid. (Bottlenecking, incompatibility, etc). So if you can think of any way to improve this before I go through with it, by all mean, please help.

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime this or next week, depending on what deals new egg comes up with. No real rush.

Budget Range: 1,100 – 1,400 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Upgradeability, multi-monitor support (2-5), Coding in C++, running multiple Cs5 programs at once, Editing in Adobe Premiere CS5, casual gamming.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, etc, (I have everything except the tower itself.)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com (Everyone says to use newegg)

Country of Origin: USA (Florida, it’s bloody hot)

Parts Preferences: Whatever you recommend.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Eventually. I’ll buy a second video card when I get more money.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1360x768, 1024x768, 1280x800, 800x600 (I generally use 3-5, these are all 5 of them)

Additional Comments: The computer is mostly a media editing computer, games are nice, but not a main concern. Not all of the monitors need to be hooked up at the same time. It would be nice, but I’m fine with only 3 at a time. I listed them in order of most important to least important. I know the power supply is overkill for this build, but I’m eventually going to crossfire, and I have like five 5.25” drives of various function I plan to put in it.

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooling Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HHD Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
SSD (For windows 7 and maybe a few programs) OCZ Agility 3 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card
Case Xigmatek Utgard Window ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Thanks for looking over my build! Be as brutally honest as you want in the comments! :D 
June 20, 2011 3:16:32 AM

spend way less on a gfx card and way more on a bigger SSD
m
l
June 20, 2011 2:45:43 PM

^+1 If gaming is not the main purpose why even consider crossfire?
The speed of the SSD will help more with editing than a powerful GPU.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 20, 2011 3:04:57 PM

Save $100 and go to the i5 2500K. The i7 2600K is nice but only 100 MHz faster and you can put your budget to better use for GFX or SSD. The i5 2500K is the current gamers choice. You might seem some small boost in media editing with the 2600K over the 2500K, but it is probably marginal. A good sized SSD will improve your media editing if you transfer the editing files to the SSD.

Get a better case. As you say, Florida is hot and you want a well cooled case to keep your rig from burning out. A good case will last through a couple builds, and whjile the Utgard is functional it doesn't give you good cable management, good cooling or toolless construction. I can recommend the Corsair 600T http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... because it is a great case. But there are several between $100 & $200 that will be much better for you in the long run. This is a nice one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... that will save you grief.

June 20, 2011 3:12:24 PM

Oh, and get a sound card if you want to boost media edits. A good sound card will take the load off the CPU and RAM. Suggested cards: Creative X-fi titatium and ASUS.
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:31:08 PM

Best answer selected by Buzzbombx.
m
l
!