Putting Third party Parts in an OEM Machine

thepress

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I have a dell inspiron 580, and i have ordered a 550W PSU and a ATI radeon HD6850 i know that lots of people upgrade, but i am still just a tad bit worried that something will happen to the machine? Has anyone had any problems Installing? Or heard of anything going wrong with upgrades? I know it voids the warranty. And the "Legal" stuff. Please help.

Thank you!

Thepress

Solution
Nothing wrong with upgrading Dell computers. I hope you ordered a good quality Corsair brand PSU.

Some Dell computers have fans that are wired differently. Keep this in mind when you connect the fans using Molex power adapters.

As far as 'legal' stuff is concerned, if you sneeze on the computer they will find an excuse to void the warranty. In my case, I do the research first, then do what I please as long as it is technically feasible. Same story with my cars.
Nothing wrong with upgrading Dell computers. I hope you ordered a good quality Corsair brand PSU.

Some Dell computers have fans that are wired differently. Keep this in mind when you connect the fans using Molex power adapters.

As far as 'legal' stuff is concerned, if you sneeze on the computer they will find an excuse to void the warranty. In my case, I do the research first, then do what I please as long as it is technically feasible. Same story with my cars.

Solution

OCZ is ok, not as good as Corsair. And SATA is fine. SATA connectors have a limited life of 50 plug-in cycles, and the end with the metal clip (if any) plugs into the motherboard. Exercise care, and wear a grounding wrist band when you are doing this type of work.