Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Making sure memory is compatible

Last response: in Memory
June 5, 2012 12:41:39 AM

Thank you, I was thinking to get that one, but wanted to make sure it was okay to mix since the timing is different by just a bit?
Related resources
a b } Memory
June 5, 2012 3:56:38 AM

I would look for any pair of sticks that closest matches the timing and voltage of the original sticks. Or find a set of 4 new sticks and sell the old stuff on ebay.
a c 149 } Memory
June 5, 2012 4:37:48 AM

If you have a Sandy or Ivy Bridge system that is the wrong RAM. You need 1.5v RAM for those CPUs and running over that will void the CPU warranty. The memory controller is on the CPU and anything over 1.58v can actually damage the CPU. That is old first generation DDR3.
June 5, 2012 5:03:15 AM

Also...I just came across this as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/trident-gskill-ddr3-iv...

These are made for ivy bridge according to the article. They are 1.65v. I am not trying to be difficult, I am very new to this and just want to learn as much as possible so that I don't screw up(as much) on future builds.

Best solution

a c 149 } Memory
June 5, 2012 5:17:44 AM

I know there is some RAM that is 1.65v marketed for Sandy and Ivy Bridge. I also know for a fact that Intel will ask specifically about what RAM you were running if you have to use the CPU warranty and will deny the warranty for anything over 1.5v.

Technically going over DDR3 1333 for Sandy Bridge and DDR3 1600 for Ivy Bridge will also void the CPU warranty but as long as the RAM is 1.5v I have not seen any problems by just going over the speed. Due to the memory controller being on the CPU high speed memory is basically a waste of money with DDR3 1600 cas 9 being a sweet spot.

If you do plan on overclocking at all Intel has this special overclockers warranty that covers overvolting.

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Crap I was trying to find the actual Intel warranty page. I know for a fact about the RAM voltage because it happened to one of the moderators here on Tom's. There was a huge thread about it that was supposed to be made a sticky but never was.
June 5, 2012 1:30:02 PM

Thanks a bunch, I shall play it safe and go with the 1.5v quad set!
June 5, 2012 1:30:33 PM

Best answer selected by mojomonkey12.
a c 146 } Memory
June 5, 2012 2:17:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!