Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Some Upgrade Advice.

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2011 1:58:12 AM

So right now I am in the market for a solid upgrade..

My current system is decent but I think that the time has come to take it to the next level..I have a HIS 5770 1gb, standard Dell xps motherboard, 4gb DDR2 RAM, core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 585W psu.

I would ideally like to get a new motherboard, video card, and some new ddr3 ram. I am just not sure which is the best/ compatible. I do not really have a solid budget. However, around $150 for the video card, $100-ish for the motherboard(not really sure what is a good price to pay), and RAM is not too important but if a good deal arises I may snag it.

If anyone could give me some suggestion that would be awesome!

More about : upgrade advice

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a c 266 U Graphics card
a c 249 V Motherboard
June 20, 2011 3:05:15 AM

Keeping the Q6600 and changing the motherboard and ram will do you no good.

From the 5770, I presume you are interested in gaming.

If so, a sandy bridge cpu of some sort is about the only way to go.

For <$200, a $125 sb 2100 is hard to beat:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

If your work requires 4 or more cores, then you are looking at $220 for a 2500K.

8gb of ram is about $75,
A motherboard can be $70 to $130 depending on the chipset required.
H67 for no overclocking and a 2100, $125 for a P67 or Z68 based motherboard.

If your games are not cpu bound now, then you could do a graphics upgrade.
The 5770 is quite capable. If you upgrade it, make it a sizeable jump, like to a 6959 or 6970.
If the jump is too small, you will be disappointed. You are looking at $200+ cards.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
June 20, 2011 3:10:37 AM

geofelt said:

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

Ah, THANK YOU!

Pure genius. I should have mentioned before but, yes, I am interested in gaming. Also, money should not really be the limiting factor. The main games that I plan on playing in the near future are Deus Ex, BF3, Skyrim..

Thanks for the input! :D 
m
l
June 27, 2011 12:23:07 AM

Best answer selected by FATAL STR1K3.
m
l
!