Processor Brand for peer-to-peer network?

I would like to buy a faster computer for peer-to-peer network.
We have 6 computers connected to the main database computer via Linksys router. My "main" computer is Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU. E7500 @ 2.93 GHz, 2.96 Gb RAM
I would like ot get somethinf faster for networking. I don't need any multimedia/graphics or games.
Could somebody suggest what what Processor Brand and other specifications would I need to look for?
Intel E8400?
Intel Core 2 Q8300?
AMD Athlon™ II Quad-Core?
Intel® Core™ i5?
Thanks you.
Chris
4 answers Last reply
More about processor brand peer peer network
  1. You're computer has little impact on network speed. The network cannot move any faster than the slowest device in it.

If you want files to/from the database server then thats what you will need to improve. How old is it? Does it have 100Mb or Gigabit? Hopefully it has gigabit.

I gotta recommend that with a database server you seek advice from a professional consultant who can examine the workload its doing and suggest cpu or harddrive upgrades to improve performance.
  2. processor has little impact on network speed as said above. you want a gigabit switch, cat 5e network cables and PC's must have gigabit network adaptors. A fast hard drive on the database computer will help also, even multiple drives in raid.
  3. What model of Linksys router, if its an older generation, probably the onboard cpu cannot handle the internal network load.

For your setup I would employ a Gigabit switch, in this config.

ISP <--> Router <--> Switch <--> PC's

As your bypassing the router for internal traffic, things should get quicker, wireless traffic will be as befor or maybe a little quicker.

The router will still be handling DHCP and internet access.
  4. Thank you very much for your advices. My router is Lynksys 10/100 model. I will get a Gigabit switch and check about PC network adapters and cables. Chris
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers P2P Intel