Sign in with
Your question

Processor Brand for peer-to-peer network?

Last response: in CPUs
September 14, 2011 11:18:01 PM

I would like to buy a faster computer for peer-to-peer network.
We have 6 computers connected to the main database computer via Linksys router. My "main" computer is Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU. E7500 @ 2.93 GHz, 2.96 Gb RAM
I would like ot get somethinf faster for networking. I don't need any multimedia/graphics or games.
Could somebody suggest what what Processor Brand and other specifications would I need to look for?
Intel E8400?
Intel Core 2 Q8300?
AMD Athlon™ II Quad-Core?
Intel® Core™ i5?
Thanks you.
Chris
a c 145 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 15, 2011 3:00:13 AM

You're computer has little impact on network speed. The network cannot move any faster than the slowest device in it.

If you want files to/from the database server then thats what you will need to improve. How old is it? Does it have 100Mb or Gigabit? Hopefully it has gigabit.

I gotta recommend that with a database server you seek advice from a professional consultant who can examine the workload its doing and suggest cpu or harddrive upgrades to improve performance.
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
September 15, 2011 10:32:32 AM

processor has little impact on network speed as said above. you want a gigabit switch, cat 5e network cables and PC's must have gigabit network adaptors. A fast hard drive on the database computer will help also, even multiple drives in raid.
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 15, 2011 12:39:52 PM

What model of Linksys router, if its an older generation, probably the onboard cpu cannot handle the internal network load.

For your setup I would employ a Gigabit switch, in this config.

ISP <--> Router <--> Switch <--> PC's

As your bypassing the router for internal traffic, things should get quicker, wireless traffic will be as befor or maybe a little quicker.

The router will still be handling DHCP and internet access.
m
l
September 16, 2011 5:41:30 AM

Thank you very much for your advices. My router is Lynksys 10/100 model. I will get a Gigabit switch and check about PC network adapters and cables. Chris
m
l
!