Closed Solved

PC Recognizes VGA Adapter as GPU

Hello, I just built a new computer today without many hitches, except my Sapphire 6950 2gb isn't being detected. I temporarily have the included DVI-VGA adapter plugged into my GPU, and a VGA cable running from that to my monitor. On CPU-Z, BIOS and everything I've tried it is reading my graphics card as Standard VGA Adapter and nonsense like that. I'm unclear if it's just a BIOS issue because I am a noob after all. I've also downloaded the latest drivers on the Sapphire website from March 30.
All help is appreciated,
Mack Daddy

*EDIT* I found my HDMI cable and hooked that up instead, but have the same result of not recognizing the gpu
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about recognizes adapter
  1. Best answer
    have you tried AMDs official drivers? The drivers should identify the card for the os, but obviously it isn't doing it properly or not at all.
    Have you tried GPU-Z? (I'm asking just out of curiosity, since as I understand it GPU-Z might be able to see the card properly even on its own.)
    This has nothing to do with the cables you are using or bios settings, only the drivers. Though I think it will always be standard vga adapter in BIOS so that won't change but anything in windows should be able to tell the model.
  2. Thanks for the input... I downloaded GPU-z and it did find my 6950, and the AMD version driver is being downloaded atm
  3. Best answer selected by Mack Daddy.
  4. The AMD drivers did work, although I had to go in and delete the file "atikmdag.sys" because it was giving me a blue screen of death. After all that, I had successfully built my first computer at age 14 :)
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon GPUs VGA Sapphire Graphics