Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Possible issue with motherboard and hard drive?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 5, 2012 2:38:02 AM

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a GA 970a-UD3 motherboard.

When I set my SATA devices to work in AHCI mode on my previous motherboard's bios (MSI 870a-G54), my Hard Drive (Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ) the bios showed my bios working as AHCI - SAMSUNG SPINPOINT (I forgot the rest but, when I installed the new Gigabyte motherboard, my hard drive would show up as
SCSI - SAMSUNG etc...

My question was, is this normal? I'm not too sure about how the hard drive and motherboard work together and as a matter of fact, the only reason I ended up switching to AHCI mode instead of using the Native IDE option is because I have seen that AHCI mode actually sped up my hard drive transfer rates.

When I replaced my MSI motherboard I did a clean reinstall of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Here are my current specs (if it matters):
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T (Unlocked to Phenom II X6 @ 3.8Ghz)
RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 8 GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 (Working in Unganged Mode)
PSU: OCz StealthxStream 600W Power Supply 80+ Certified
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB @ 7200RPM (HD103SJ)

Thanks in advance.

Best solution

a c 1155 V Motherboard
June 5, 2012 3:12:10 AM

And no performance issue? Then it is just Gigabyte that is displaying it like that and nothing to worry about.
June 5, 2012 3:16:59 AM

Best answer selected by mr1hm.
Score
Related resources
June 5, 2012 3:20:54 AM

rolli59 said:
And no performance issue? Then it is just Gigabyte that is displaying it like that and nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the reply! Now I can stop worrying...

However... I installed my chipset drivers using the latest drivers from AMD's website which were released on 4/25/2012 while under Gigabyte's support page for the 970a-ud3 has only up to the chipset drivers released on 4/12/2010.

Could this possibly cause any issues?

EDIT: I also did not install the SATA AHCI drivers during the process of the fresh Windows 7 installation. I installed the amd chipset drivers upon my first login to Windows 7 after I had completed the installation. Although, I remember setting my HDD to AHCI mode before the Windows 7 installation had commenced.

- Under device manager, when I go to the section "Disk Drives," it simply just states Samsung HD103SJ SATA Disk Device.

Isn't it suppose to state that it's running in AHCI mode?

Any issues that might occur because of this?
Score
a c 1155 V Motherboard
June 5, 2012 12:43:50 PM

If it says it is SATA drive then it is in ACHI, other wise it would report it as IDE or (P)ATA. Windows 7 comes with SATA drivers so no third party drivers needed during install.
Score
June 5, 2012 10:58:46 PM

rolli59 said:
If it says it is SATA drive then it is in ACHI, other wise it would report it as IDE or (P)ATA. Windows 7 comes with SATA drivers so no third party drivers needed during install.

Awesome, thanks again!
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 12:23:01 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!