Difference between dual-core and i-3 processors

JOHN_64

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hello,
I want to buy a clone PC. Either will it be good to use dual-core. quad-core or i3, i5 and i7 processor.
Are there differences among them at very large scale?
Thanks

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

i dont think there are quad core i3's atm
the performance scale goes like this(ish)
amd athlon x2≈pentiums<athlon x3, phenom x2<athlon x4,phenom x3,core i3,i5(dual core)<phenom x4,x6, core i5(quad core)<core i7
the diffences are different depending on apps but this is like the overall results

bucknutty

Distinguished
Your new pc should be a newer CPU like an i3 or i5 2000 series. I would not waste time on older cpus like core2 duo or core2 quad. The newer cpus are much more efficient, clock for clock you get more work done, while making less heat and using less electricity. Toms did an interesting article in June where they took a bunch of cpus locked them at 1 core and at 3ghz. The core i5 and i7 were way ahead of all the other cpus. Granted this type of experiment is not really comparative to the real world, but it gives you an idea of how much better the newer cpus are over older ones.

If you are looking at a new desktop PC depending on what you are going to be doing with it will be where you want to focus within the Intel® processor family.
Intel Pentium® - These are the basic processors for a person who doesn’t need a lot of power. They are dual core processor without hyper-threading and turbo boost. If you are building a system for email and internet access for your grandmother this is the processor you would select.

Intel Core™ i3 - These processors are dual core processor with hyper-threading that support up to 4 threads. They fit well for a general purpose processor. For someone who may do a little multi-media work, home and business type stuff that doesn’t need a lot of power.

Intel Core i5 - These processors are designed for today’s user main stream users who will be multi-tasking and doing more with their computers than ever before. They are quad core processors with turbo boost but no hyper-threading. Gaming, multi-media, and other main stream applications this is the processor for them.

Intel Core i7 - These are the top processors for power-users. They are quad core processor with hyper-threading give you support for up to 8 threads. They also have turbo boost. This is the processor for the person who is doing audio/video creation, heavily CAD or multi-threaded work.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

i dont think the op mentioned anything about core 2

bucknutty

Distinguished

My intention was to be helpful. The fact that the original poster chose to use the word OR in the following sentence suggested to me he was looking for information on cpus other than i3-i5-i7.
“Either will it be good to use dual-core. quad-core or i3, i5 and i7 processor.” But i could be wrong.

What was the intention of your post?

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

well there are the amd offerings, which are also dual, quad cores.

No offence intended btw if i sounded a bit harsh there :pt1cable: