Solved

Which Mobo would you choose?

I'm going to have an i5-2500K processor and the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 GPU this will be for gaming. So should I choose the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819, or the ASUS Maximus V Gene , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131830. Either one is fine, I like them both and I like the price, so which one do you think is better since its strictly for gaming. Oh and I'm going to have two SSD's set at Raid 0 so the Sata's with Raid are making my decision a little harder. So what do you think would be better for me?
Thanks,
Jeord
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which mobo choose
  1. My Asus Maximus link isn't working, so if you're gonna look just search Asus Maximus V Gene, its 209.99. And i just used newegg and put them both on compare.
    Thanks
  2. Best answer
    Tough choice, there are so many little differences. What it comes down to is that the Gene has a better sound chip, but the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO has a better port selection and button selection. My vote goes with the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO.
  3. I would go with Asus Maximus V gene. Because i recently upgraded my system using that board and 3570k chip. Absolutely amazing board, looks great, especially the light that is in the board its self. Any option you cant think of, that board has, to OC any thing to max...

The down side is that its a small board. Even though it has dual Pcie 3.0, if you ever decide to CF or SLI, it will be pretty strict space. In my case i always go with single super powerful card, so that's never a problem. Also i am using IB, so i take advantage of every thing board has to offer.

If you going with SB chip i would go with z66 boards. But since you choosing Z77 board any way, and you dont plan on using dual GFX, i would definitely go with Maximus V.
  4. Maximus v gene has enough port more then you need. Though V PRO has better port selection, but what will you do with more port.

Supreme fx III is great sound chip as built in with sound blaster, x-fi, EAX advance HD 5.0. I will never miss maximus as it is same price as V PRO. I if were you, i will go for maximus for sure. It has everything you need.

I vote for Maximus V Gene.
  5. devils_advocate said:
    I would go with Asus Maximus V gene. Because i recently upgraded my system using that board and 3570k chip. Absolutely amazing board, looks great, especially the light that is in the board its self. Any option you cant think of, that board has, to OC any thing to max...

The down side is that its a small board. Even though it has dual Pcie 3.0, if you ever decide to CF or SLI, it will be pretty strict space. In my case i always go with single super powerful card, so that's never a problem. Also i am using IB, so i take advantage of every thing board has to offer.

If you going with SB chip i would go with z66 boards. But since you choosing Z77 board any way, and you dont plan on using dual GFX, i would definitely go with Maximus V.

But if I'm correct they both support IB's 22nm transistor correct?
  6. Of course they both supports IB's 22nm and SB 32nm cpu. They both have z77 chip which supports latest Intel 3rd gen cpu.

Go for the Maximus V gene.
  7. jerodpaul said:
    But if I'm correct they both support IB's 22nm transistor correct?

By both you mean Z66 and Z77 board, then yes with correct bios on Z66 board support IB. However there are few things that Z68 board lacking, AFAIK, native support of on-board SATAIII and PciE 3.0. Which isnt that big of a deal. Other wise, all Z77 boards are alike, the high end board just give you lots of tweaking options, and may be few safety net on bios side...

I am really good with Over clocking, and even for me seeing all those option available on Maximus V board was a-bit overwhelming lol.
  8. Ok thanks all, so it looks like right now the Maximus V Gene is what I'm going for, but with 2 GTX 670's will it be too crowded?
  9. You can use two gtx670 in maximus v gene. But you dont need a 2nd gt670 now. One is good enough for every game @ 1920x1080 res. Do you want more display/more res?
  10. jerodpaul said:
    Ok thanks all, so it looks like right now the Maximus V Gene is what I'm going for, but with 2 GTX 670's will it be too crowded?

Yes IMHO, it will be a very tight fit. The top card will have little space for air circulation. That ususally not a big deal for some case becaues there is a intake fan on the side panel that blowing air right in between them. But still it will be a tight spacing between two cards.

That is one of of the older card 4870. You can see how close the second card will be.

11. devils_advocate said:
    Yes IMHO, it will be a very tight fit. The top card will have little space for air circulation. That ususally not a big deal for some case becaues there is a intake fan on the side panel that blowing air right in between them. But still it will be a tight spacing between two cards.

That is one of of the older card 4870. You can see how close the second card will be.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/demonicknightmare/Z77%20Maximux%20V/MaximusV_GFX_placement.jpg

Jeez yeah, I'm using the Cooler Master Haf-X 942, so will that keep the heat down sufficiently with a decent overclock on the GPU's?
  12. mubin said:
    You can use two gtx670 in maximus v gene. But you dont need a 2nd gt670 now. One is good enough for every game @ 1920x1080 res. Do you want more display/more res?

Yes I have 2 displays, and I want better Res
  13. jerodpaul said:
    Yes I have 2 displays, and I want better Res

One gtx 670 can handle it. A single HD 6990 can handle upto five display on 6000x1920 res. And gtx670 is as powerful as HD6990.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yvakLCwbz4

But for SLI you have to use a case which has very good cooling system and airflow.
  14. Best answer selected by JerodPaul.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards NAS / RAID Product