Sign in with
Your question

Have 8 GB ram only showing 3.97 "available" in windows

Last response: in Memory
June 4, 2012 10:04:41 PM

Hello Fellow Members,

Just was looking to see if anyone has an answer for this, I just installed my new FX 6200 and Zalman 9900 Cooler and I used MSI's OC Genie to OC the cpu, now for whatever reason I am only showing 3.97 GB RAM "available" when I have 8 GB installed. I had a FX 4100 and OCd it also with Genie and I did not have this problem. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

More about : ram showing windows

a b } Memory
June 5, 2012 7:32:10 AM

1. Check msconfig

if this doesn't work

2. reinstall your RAM

if this doesn't work

3. Check your RAM and RAM slot by rotating them
a b } Memory
June 5, 2012 7:33:13 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Motherboards & Memory by Pyree
Related resources
June 5, 2012 1:38:25 PM

Are you using a 32 bit windows operating system?

If you are it wont show the 8Gbs, you will need to upgrade your windows to a 64bit version to utilise the 8GB of ram.
a b } Memory
June 5, 2012 2:14:52 PM

You cant even use a full 4GB with a 32bit OS.
June 5, 2012 3:21:16 PM

Nope 64 bit
June 5, 2012 4:53:19 PM

Sounds like 32 bit or bad stick of ram
June 5, 2012 5:01:25 PM

doct3rphil said:
Sounds like 32 bit or bad stick of ram

It is 64 bit and i never had this issue till AFTER getting my new CPU. I had the fx 4100 before i got a good deal on this 6200 and all my RAM showed up with that 4100. So im stumped haha. Same architecture fpr both CPUs but as far as i know a cpu shouldnt affect how your mobo reads your ram
a c 347 } Memory
June 5, 2012 6:45:58 PM

Q - What exact kit or kits? ; please provide a link. Some higher frequency kits don't run well @ defaults and the BIOS for the RAM must be manually set.

Q - What exact MSI MOBO? ; if I have both then I can post the proper settings AND make certain that you have the RAM in the correct DIMM slots.

Chances are that one stick is DOA. Simple test boot with (1) stick then swap out the other, and IF one fails (9/10) then RMA the RAM for a new SET not just (1) stick.

Chances are from the image below you have ~4146MB showing-up as Hardware reserved.
June 5, 2012 11:45:10 PM

jaquith said:
Q - What exact kit or kits? ; please provide a link. Some higher frequency kits don't run well @ defaults and the BIOS for the RAM must be manually set.

Q - What exact MSI MOBO? ; if I have both then I can post the proper settings AND make certain that you have the RAM in the correct DIMM slots.

Chances are that one stick is DOA. Simple test boot with (1) stick then swap out the other, and IF one fails (9/10) then RMA the RAM for a new SET not just (1) stick.

Chances are from the image below you have ~4146MB showing-up as Hardware reserved.
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Resource-Monitor-32GB.jpg

http://www.frys.com/product/6552683?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN... -RAM

http://www.frys.com/product/7028571?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN... -MOBO
a c 347 } Memory
June 6, 2012 12:54:09 PM

Good morning! :) 

MSI 970A-G46 - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G46.html#/?div=Detai...
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 2x4GB set
DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v ; Rated
DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v ; Default
ref - http://www.corsair.com/us/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-dd...

note: the manual I had to use was from the 970A-G45 since the 970A-G46 is not published on MSI's site. The following should be the same.

Looking at the information you provided, it's as I assumed it would be and chances are you have a bad stick of RAM, but also it could be a couple other things. The Corsair is encoded to work at either Default DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600 out of the box (plug & play).

Possible remedies:
1. The RAM must be installed in the BLUE DIMM slots only. If that fails then try the Black slots, IF the Black slots work and the Blue fails then you have a problem with the MSI MOBO and it needs to be returned. Also, make 100% certain that the RAM is properly installed -- all (4) DIMM locks must be closed.

2. Only the FX CPU's properly support DDR3-1600 speed or higher, prior AMD CPU's required the FSB -> 240MHz or only on Black Edition the CPU-NB Frequency -> 2400MHz or FSB -> 240MHz . See -> http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Next, if items 1 or 2 fail and even if the following BIOS settings correct the problem IMO return the RAM.

3. BIOS Settings (FX) CPU:
F6 ; loads BIOS Optimized Default settings
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600
DRAM Timing Mode -> Manual
Advanced DRAM Configuration /Enter
Command Rate -> 2
tCL -> 9
tRCD -> 9
tRP -> 9
tRAS -> 24
-
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v ; if needed i.e. still 4GB then 1.55v
CPU-NB Voltage -> 1.20v

Save & Exit = Yes

Good Luck!
June 6, 2012 6:08:33 PM

*UPDATE*
Reseated the ram (was already in blue slots) and didnt fix, moved to black slots and didnt fix, tested each module and each read fine on their own (so not ram). STILL shows that i have 3.96 gb available as per my original post. you think its a mobo problem? It has the latest BIOS and everything so idk what else it could be lol
a c 347 } Memory
June 6, 2012 7:03:50 PM

Did you try the settings I posted? If those settings fail and running Memtest one stick at a time passes then my assumption is the MOBO or small possibility a bent CPU pin.
June 6, 2012 7:10:47 PM

jaquith said:
Did you try the settings I posted? If those settings fail and running Memtest one stick at a time passes then my assumption is the MOBO or small possibility a bent CPU pin.

Yeah i did, i fooled around some more after my last post and seems 2 of my dimm slots may be malfunctioning, i can use both modules and thats when it shows only 3.95 available (dimm 3-4 are bad) i tried booting with one stick in those particular slots and would not boot, moved it to slot 1 booted fine and slot 2 same. I have both sticks in 1-2 dimm slots and reads all ram now. My queston now is will this affect performance at all? And I just bought mobo about 2 weeks ago so if it is thos problematic already that worries me, should i just return it for a new one or try to find a slightly better mobo in exchange? Such a bad way to get back into building lol
a c 347 } Memory
June 6, 2012 7:27:06 PM

Well you don't have 'Dual Channel' regardless of what CPU-z says. It's not so much about performance as it is about reliability (especially long-term) loading-up everything on one channel.

Bad MOBO's happens and yep it's a PITA!!! Trust me -- I know. I would arrange a 'Cross-Ship' aka 'Expedited RMA' with your reseller/retailer/e-tailer that way you have 'rebuild-time' down only. Essentially, you get charged with a 2nd MOBO and once 'they' receive the bad MOBO you get a credit.

NewEgg is REALLY GOOD about this type situation. I hope the same about FRYS.
June 6, 2012 7:43:31 PM

Yeah got it at frys so hopefully should just be a easy swap but we shall see haha thank you for your help, and if i have the opp to exchange for a different model do you know of any good mobos that have the chipset for my cpu? Been looking online but cant find any detailed reviews
a c 347 } Memory
June 6, 2012 8:16:26 PM

In general, ASUS or Gigabyte. However in your price range your MSI is very good. I'd just get another, this 'stuff' just happens -- once the new one is up and running you'll forget all about this hiccup.
June 6, 2012 8:20:23 PM

I dont mind sparing a few extra dollars for a more expensive one, i only bought this one cause it fit my budget at the time haha
October 4, 2012 1:09:39 PM

I have the same problem and same MOBO and the Ram is the same only its the 1866mhz. Mine will show 8 gig then 6.99 and like yours 3.97. Did a new mobo help
!