LGA1366 Users

Stealth112

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
How long do you guys think LGA1366 platform users will last. As in, how long before an upgrade would become neccesary? For gamers and enthusiasts to be specific.

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

it will last until you feel that it's not doing the job at your satndards for you, i mean like my e2140 maybe no i7 speed but its enough to take any 1080p video smoothly tho, so its all depending on your usage really

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
3 to 5 years like any platform. Most enthusiast upgrade somewhere around 3 years or less. That said, you can easily stretch that number with a healthy overclock. The i7 1366 chips are roughly 15 percent slower than the current offerings clock for clock. That's from a 2 year or older chip, so I think they have some life left in them yet.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I managed a 775 until I needed a dual core for BFBC2 and found that was insufficient. Went to Quad and learned the 128 bit cards were insufficient, then upped to 256 bit cards and ... you get the picture.

Now it is about a year later and I finished building a monster designed to last a very long time. how long? Well that depends on if the game Developers start installing new games onto Blue Ray with the associated bloat.

Magnetic Memory, Optical and wireless ways of conveying data very quickly inside a machine and a growing strength of the CPU to turn into a sort of gigantic brick that replaces the RAM, GPU and Hard drives someday. All stacked.

By then dailup, dsl, cable and last mile ethernet will be dead and we will all need fiber to game online.

The way things are going and accelerating rapdily, I will say for certain that I will be bypassing LGA 1366 the same way I completely bypassed Vista.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Until my computer cannot play games at 1920x1080p at medium settings even with a 4.0ghz overclock and the best GPU i can afford for it at the time.

Even though the hardware is progressively always improving, the software has not and will not until the demand for it increases and that will only happen when consoles are replaced by next generation ones which will once again push developers to make better games (hopefully).

another 3-5 years i think as a main computer then it'll be relegated to secondary duties (such as backup pc for families or other people visiting).

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Same situation.

Couldn't have said it any better!

+1