At the point to buy a laptop - any suggestions ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2005 6:59:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi folks,

Finally, after working for 14 years with computers, I am at
the point to buy me a laptop for traveling and remote use.
I work with music and media.

Is it any brand to prefer between the multitude of offers ?
Any suggestions? Also about this battery long lasting issue ?
I heard that a slower processor (which anyway has to wait the
mechanical HDs to turn) helps for longer battery lasting,
is this true?
Thanks for replying,
--
Bad Disciple
"Y o u a r e w h a t y o u k n o w"

Bad Disciple wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Finally, after working for 14 years with computers, I am at
> the point to buy me a laptop for traveling and remote use.
> I work with music and media.
>
> Is it any brand to prefer between the multitude of offers ?
> Any suggestions? Also about this battery long lasting issue ?
> I heard that a slower processor (which anyway has to wait the
> mechanical HDs to turn) helps for longer battery lasting,
> is this true?

In your subject line, substitute "automobile" for "laptop."

Sorry, but it's *way* too broad of a question.

What are your specific requirements, e.g., size, weight, etc.

Do you have any financial restraints?

Give us more and we'll give you more! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2005 6:59:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Not easy to answer with so many good choices. No one can help till we know
your budget. Small, portable versus big, heavy. Look at a Fujitsu n6010,
and then ThinkPad t43p. Do you like either? Remember, only Costco has a 6
month return time limit. You will learn more with it on your desk (or lap)
than dozens of opinions.

"Bad Disciple" <hint2nowhere@tiscali.be> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> Finally, after working for 14 years with computers, I am at
> the point to buy me a laptop for traveling and remote use.
> I work with music and media.
>
> Is it any brand to prefer between the multitude of offers ?
> Any suggestions? Also about this battery long lasting issue ?
> I heard that a slower processor (which anyway has to wait the
> mechanical HDs to turn) helps for longer battery lasting,
> is this true?
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2005 6:59:12 PM

Bad Disciple wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Finally, after working for 14 years with computers, I am at
> the point to buy me a laptop for traveling and remote use.
> I work with music and media.
>
> Is it any brand to prefer between the multitude of offers ?
> Any suggestions? Also about this battery long lasting issue ?
> I heard that a slower processor (which anyway has to wait the
> mechanical HDs to turn) helps for longer battery lasting,
> is this true?

What's true is that Intel's Pentium M and the associated Centrino package is
generally your best bet for long battery life. The clock speed on the
Pentium M seems low but the performance is not because it's a different
design from the Pentium 4 and does more in a clock cycle.

The processor only has to wait for the disk when it is reading something off
the disk--if you work with music and media you'll probably be doing signal
processing, which is usually CPU-bound and not I/O bound.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Yes, you all are right in fact...
But I was generally told to prefer ASUS or HP, then I would
watch about details.

Sizes or weights are more or less acceptable.
Financially, even if I see prices between 1000 and 3000 EU, they
quite often don't seem to differ essentially. I would go up to
say, 1700 EU (2050$ or 1135GBP).

So, a faster processor is always better, and not any processor
but the PM version ? I need to have maximum of RAM, say 1GB
or more (can't I add later?). A decent HD of 60-80GB actually if
two HDs, better, but does this exist?
And how about playing DVD on a laptop ?
And yes, USB 2.0, Firewire and I/O jacks on the soundcard.

Also, if I use it for processing sound on scene, how much I risk
to get a blocked by a freezing laptop ?
Right, plenty of questions...
--
Bad Disciple
"Y o u a r e w h a t y o u k n o w"
"O n e t h i n g I k n o w i t' s t h a t I k n o w n o t h i n g"

"Bad Disciple" <hint2nowhere@tiscali.be> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> Finally, after working for 14 years with computers, I am at
> the point to buy me a laptop for traveling and remote use.
> I work with music and media.
>
> Is it any brand to prefer between the multitude of offers ?
> Any suggestions? Also about this battery long lasting issue ?
> I heard that a slower processor (which anyway has to wait the
> mechanical HDs to turn) helps for longer battery lasting,
> is this true?
> Thanks for replying,
> --
> Bad Disciple
> "Y o u a r e w h a t y o u k n o w"
> "O n e t h i n g I k n o w i t' s t h a t I k n o w n o t h i n g"
June 15, 2005 1:57:17 AM

In comp.sys.laptops Bad Disciple <hint2nowhere@tiscali.be> wrote:
: Yes, you all are right in fact...
: But I was generally told to prefer ASUS or HP, then I would
: watch about details.

: Sizes or weights are more or less acceptable.
: Financially, even if I see prices between 1000 and 3000 EU, they
: quite often don't seem to differ essentially. I would go up to
: say, 1700 EU (2050$ or 1135GBP).

: So, a faster processor is always better, and not any processor
: but the PM version ?

Yes, go with Pentium M or Centrino, which is a package that includes a
Pentium M CPU.

: I need to have maximum of RAM, say 1GB or more (can't I add later?).

Most laptops today will accept 1GB at least, probably 2GB. They
usually have one or two RAM expansion slots. But both may be occupied
when you buy the laptop, so you may be forced to remove one DIMM from
the laptop and add a larger one to add RAM later.

: A decent HD of 60-80GB actually if two HDs, better, but does this
: exist?

A few laptops allow two hard drives but this adds an unneeded
constraint. Better to get one large hard drive and then use external
hard drives as storage.

: And how about playing DVD on a laptop ?

Every modern laptop will play DVD movies, assuming it has a DVD drive.

: And yes, USB 2.0, Firewire and I/O jacks on the soundcard.

Every modern laptop has USB 2 and the basic I/O jacks. Some have
Firewire, some do not.

: Also, if I use it for processing sound on scene, how much I risk
: to get a blocked by a freezing laptop ?

If the laptop is well designed and working properly it should never,
ever freeze.

I suggest you look at the most common brands: Dell, IBM, HP, Toshiba,
Fujitsu. Compare the prices and specs, then come back and ask about
specific models.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

microcenter.com
www.fatwallet.com/c/18/ -> Acer notebook for $499 thread.

Acer at $399 at microcenter might even come with free DL DVD burner
upgrade! Excellent deal for any notebook, and at $399 After rebates, a
steal!!!!

Must consider for sure!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2005 5:04:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:57:16 +0200, Bad Disciple <hint2nowhere@tiscali.be>
wrote:

> And yes, USB 2.0, Firewire and I/O jacks on the soundcard.
>
> Also, if I use it for processing sound on scene, how much I risk
> to get a blocked by a freezing laptop ?
> Right, plenty of questions...

One major problem with audio on current laptops is noise caused by ground
loops - this applies to external sound interfaces too in some cases. You
may need to use some kind of isolation between the laptop and any audio
gear that you are plugging in to it.

Your best bet is to choose the software that you want to run on the laptop
and check out the software manufacturer's recommendations regarding the
laptop and additional sound card.

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2005 5:53:46 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:09:32 GMT, "SBC Usenet"
<replytonewsgroup@oraskforemailaddress.com> wrote:

>Not easy to answer with so many good choices. No one can help till we know
>your budget. Small, portable versus big, heavy. Look at a Fujitsu n6010,
>and then ThinkPad t43p. Do you like either? Remember, only Costco has a 6
>month return time limit. You will learn more with it on your desk (or lap)

Nope, Sam's club has it to. I like my little Averatech.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 16, 2005 1:07:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Bad Disciple" <hint2nowhere@tiscali.be> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> Finally, after working for 14 years with computers, I am at
> the point to buy me a laptop for traveling and remote use.
> I work with music and media.

Will you be wanted a big screen then? i.e. a 17inch? If so, go for a Dell
9300, or if you can afford it a Sony of equivalent spec.

!