Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Question

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2011 4:15:28 PM

My question is which parts should I upgrade or is my computer bottle necked got £200-300 to spend on it

Current PC Parts

PSU - 700W Storm Modular JN-700-A12C
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 970 @ 3.5ghz
GPU - XFX 6870 XXX Black Edition
Memory - Mushkin 991585 1333Mhz @ 1602Mhz
Motherboard - M4A785TD-V EVO
HDD - Samsung HD501LJ 500GB Internal SATA 16MB 7200RPM
Monitor - LG W2363D 23" TRUE 120Hz 3D Widescreen LCD Monitor
CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS9900-LED CPU Cooler

Also is my GPU running to hot 39c Idle 69-79 Load

Thanks nick.

More about : upgrade question

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2011 4:22:15 PM

Umm, I don't see any big issues.... That should be a plenty powerful build.
But if you feel like you aren't getting the FPS you should, you can get another 6870 and crossfire them. However a single is probably good unless you are a serious gamer and demand that 120FPS.

The other thing to consider is an SSD for fast bootup.

What case do you have? the GPU is running a little hot under load. Nothing it can't handle, but a little hot.
June 20, 2011 4:34:46 PM

I'm upgrading due to it all feeling slow. It's not what it used to be. it's ok for games but just seems to be getting slower over time, Things takes AGES to load now boot up time is a bane takes 70+ sec used to be super quick maybe a SSD would fix this

Also crossfire isn't very good on my MB runs at 8x-4x in Crossfire i think

Case is Jeantech Aqua got 5-6 fans in it cpu runs at 35-39c idle + load

Also I was thinking of getting a AMD 990FX MB would this be a boost in performance ?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2011 4:39:31 PM

No, a new mobo would not help performance.
And wow, 70 seconds? That sounds like an HDD issue. Has there been any issues, like blu screening or irregular errors when trying to access data? Have you defragged the hard drive recently?

If yes to any of the above, the drive could be failing. Buy a Spinpoint F3 1TB, they are fast and cheap. Clone your old drive and copy it to the new one. Format the old HDD, and check it's integrity. It sounds like a major HDD issue, although it could simply need a format.
June 20, 2011 4:55:59 PM

striker410 said:
Umm, I'm no expert with hybrid drives, but I'm gonna say no. Here's what you need for now: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD... I'm getting about 22 seconds from pushing the power button to login screen on windows 7. It's VERY fast.

22 seconds that's very impressive what the hell i'll go order one now thanks for your help mate you have been great help cheers :) 
!