Graphic card for Optiplex 980 MT

turuu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hello,will a Geforce GT440 work on my PC? it requires 300w and 12+ running 22amps, but my PSU has 305w with 12va running 15amps and 12vb Running 10amps? for a combined max output of 240w?

Solution
a Dell PSU is rated at "continous" wattage NOT max like most of the aftermarkets

the 305w is close to 375 to 400w max output

Trust me that dell 305 can easily handle that card

I have a Dell 280w running an OCd E4500 2.93ghz,4 1gb sticks of ram,dvdrw,hard drive, two extra fans, a USB external hard drive,usb light,asus sound card
with no problems at all

I used to have a Dell Precision 450 with a 360w PSU running
three hard drives,scsi card,7600GS gpu,4 sticks ram,two dvdrws,sound card three extra fans
two Xeon CPUs

Users who have knowledge might hate Dell for business practices, customer service
or value for dollar BUT if you are a working tech you know that their PSUs are actually
pretty good

their made by a pretty reputable...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It will probably run, but will stress the power supply. Under no circumstances would I recommend you try to overclock the GT440 with that power supply.

You can, of course, replace the anemic Dell power supply with a "standard" power supply at the same time you add your new video card. Just something to think about.

Good luck!

turuu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
i really want to get more powerful PSU, but i cant google any PSU that will work on my Optiplex 980 MiniTower. can anyone recommend a PSU that will work on it.

turuu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
if i can get the adapter ill still need to rewire it!!! whih i dont want to do.
Is there just some custom PSU building company or a store that i can go to.

a Dell PSU is rated at "continous" wattage NOT max like most of the aftermarkets

the 305w is close to 375 to 400w max output

Trust me that dell 305 can easily handle that card

I have a Dell 280w running an OCd E4500 2.93ghz,4 1gb sticks of ram,dvdrw,hard drive, two extra fans, a USB external hard drive,usb light,asus sound card
with no problems at all

I used to have a Dell Precision 450 with a 360w PSU running
three hard drives,scsi card,7600GS gpu,4 sticks ram,two dvdrws,sound card three extra fans
two Xeon CPUs

Users who have knowledge might hate Dell for business practices, customer service
or value for dollar BUT if you are a working tech you know that their PSUs are actually
pretty good

their made by a pretty reputable company from what I understand
Fortron is the name if I remember right

Most of Dell mobos are Foxconn,Dvd drives are major brand also (i think LG/Hitachi)
memory is Hynix,Samsung or Infineon over the years

again their customer service,performance vs price and business practices SUCK!!!

also they along with HP had bad capacitors in motherboards a while back and screwed everybody over and are involved in a class action lawsuit because of it

also Micheal Dell is faced with insider trading charges last I heard

I tell you that so you know that I am not a Dell Fanboy

I buy them because I get them CHEAP

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is good info and may actually solve the OP's issue, up to a point. I wouldn't go with an overly demanding GPU with the CPU, but a GT440 should work. I would not OC the GPU with this setup, though. Good luck!