Sign in with
Your question

Help building a BF3 ready PC

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2011 4:59:04 PM

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to put together a machine but up until recently, I've been building fairly budget conscious machines. My current setup is an AMD Phenom II X4 965, Radeon 5850 and 4GB DDR @ 1333. I'm able to run the games I play comfortably (BFBC2, Medal of Honor and the occasional rounds of MW2/COD:BO).

I don't know what kind of machine the BF3 demos were run on, but some of those scenes looked buttery smooth and the graphics were pretty intense. Lots of smoke, buildings collapsing and very graphics intensive.

Here's my question and because I don't follow the CPU/GPU/Hardware releases on a weekly basis, would it be wiser to wait until around September or early October to build out a machine or can I put together the pieces now?

I've read a few articles and have decided to go with Intel for my next processor. Most likely an i5-2500K (if it's still a good buy by then) or an i7.

Here's a quick run-down of the likely players:

Proc: Intel (i5 / i7)
GPU: nVidia (590?)
RAM: most likely 12GB

I haven't decided on anything yet and that's really because I'm waiting to see a solid requirement list from EA regarding BF3. I'd like to be able to run everything on high.

Again, I don't follow the release of new hardware like most folks here do and I'll probably start reading through the articles here on TH regarding the parts I've mentioned and what may be coming out soon. I just wanted to get a feel for what others might be thinking.

Thanks and I'll be sure to do my own research/reading!

More about : building bf3 ready

June 20, 2011 5:17:18 PM

Hey there, welcome to the forums.

My opinion? Don't upgrade! You have a plenty good system.

We don't yet know what the system requirements will be, but the rumors are the demo's were running i7-950's and GTX 580's. I could be wrong, just what I heard.

So that being said, there's no reason to fork out a bunch of cash when you have a great system! Games are more GPU bound anyway.

And 4GB of ram is perfectly fine. I don't see why people think more ram will increase performance.

My suggestion would be add another 5850 for crossfire. Right now, they are running for around $180-200, but you could probably snag one of ebay for cheaper.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/303?vs=305 As you can see, 5850 CF performs just as well as a GTX 580, meaning you can expect to see those sweet, sweet graphics.

Hope you figure it out!

Striker
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:19:57 PM

Your rig is not at all bad! Upgrading to a I5 2500K or I7 2600K matched with a very powerful GPU is the only way not to get disappointed with the upgrade. Then again your CPU could handle a more powerful card.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2011 5:25:03 PM

Hey Striker,

Thanks for the quick response! I've always been of the notion that I didn't need more than 4GB of RAM but recently read an article here on TH (i'll have to find it) that says it may help to have more than 8GB. I remember it briefly saying something about having more RAM will allow the video card to allocate more system memory for its own use. Not sure how much performance gain I'll see but maybe I will stick with 4GB.

I've been looking for an identical 5850 (Mine is a Sapphire 5850) but do I really need it to be the same? The only thing I've read is that if I pick a slower card in the same family, the faster card will (obviously?) operate at the same spec as the lower performing card.

I've found two on eBay but for the most part, the identical 5850 on eBay goes for the same price I bought it for over two years ago (~$350 or so)

Thanks again Striker!
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:31:52 PM

rolli59 said:
Your rig is not at all bad! Upgrading to a I5 2500K or I7 2600K matched with a very powerful GPU is the only way not to get disappointed with the upgrade. Then again your CPU could handle a more powerful card.

Thanks! Maybe I can consider moving to a better GPU when BF3 comes out. I'm still trying to get my head around the newest cards 6850s, 6950s etc, and why (if at all) I should move to them. Initially I was thinking of doing CF but I don't think the airflow is very good in my case. I try to keep my case as clean as possible, cleaning out dust at least every two to three weeks. I have an older Antec P180 and it's held up nicely so far.

Here's the power supply I'm using. I think I should be OK for CF if I decide to do so. It's a 750W PC Power & Cooling

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:36:12 PM

I'd be interested to see that article. I haven't seen it yet.

No you don't have to get an identical GPU. Any 5850 will work.
They seem to be getting scarce. Here's one i Found, right at $200: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
Here it is again, at a different shop: http://www.provantage.com/visiontek-900297~7VSTV07W.htm
And here's an ASUS: http://www.xpcgear.com/asus-eah5850directcu-2dis-1gd5.h...

But honestly, the one from tiger is probably the safest bet. Provantage is a well rated site, but I've never dealt with them.

Yes, the faster one will downclock, unless you OC the slower one.
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:37:25 PM

adriankeith said:
Thanks! Maybe I can consider moving to a better GPU when BF3 comes out. I'm still trying to get my head around the newest cards 6850s, 6950s etc, and why (if at all) I should move to them. Initially I was thinking of doing CF but I don't think the airflow is very good in my case. I try to keep my case as clean as possible, cleaning out dust at least every two to three weeks. I have an older Antec P180 and it's held up nicely so far.

Here's the power supply I'm using. I think I should be OK for CF if I decide to do so. It's a 750W PC Power & Cooling

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yup you're in the clear. it's got the pins, got the power. PC P&C is a good brand.
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:37:49 PM

There are not many cards on the market that will beat HD5850 in crossfire and your PSU should handle that fine. Upgrading to anything lower than HD6970 GTX570 would be disappointing with a single card.
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:39:50 PM

striker410 said:
Yup you're in the clear. it's got the pins, got the power. PC P&C is a good brand.

Awesome.

Thanks for the help Striker. I may take the plunge and get a 5850 and see what kind of performance gains I see. MoH is pretty demanding as it is. I'm wondering what I can do to boost performance. I've tried OCing on my board (Asus M4A78T-E) but something isn't liking it. I have a Hyper 212V on my proc. Maybe needs better cooling.

Thanks again for your input Striker. Much appreciated.
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:44:04 PM

With a Hyper 212+ and Phenom 965, It wouldn't be outlandish to break 4GHz.
And ahh excellent, that board runs at 8x/8x. No worries of bottlenecks! You should be good! Might I ask what case you have?
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:49:38 PM

striker410 said:
With a Hyper 212+ and Phenom 965, It wouldn't be outlandish to break 4GHz.
And ahh excellent, that board runs at 8x/8x. No worries of bottlenecks! You should be good! Might I ask what case you have?

It's the older antec P180. I know they came out with a newer one that's got some odd designs on it but they're almost identical.
m
l
June 20, 2011 6:07:45 PM

oh wow, nice case. It will have ample cooling. My vote, go for the 5850! As I showed in those benchmarks, they run like a GTX 580, which is supposedly what the demo was running on.
m
l
June 20, 2011 6:10:30 PM

^+1 With HD5850 in crossfire in a fantastic quality case you will have great rig.
m
l
October 21, 2011 8:06:25 AM

Hello all,
i have a two-year-ol mobo, with pci-e 1.1x16 (version 1.1)

8 gb ram (1033mhz)
with a corei7 920 @ 2,67ghz

do you think ati hd5850 is okay for it ? being a pci-e 2.1 card, will there be bottleneck?

someone from year 2009 says
"PCI-E 2.0 is x16 as well, the difference is that the theoretical bandwidth is twice as high per lane compared to 1.1. Sounds a lot, but the great majority of the cards today (if not all) perform the same with 1.1 as with 2.0. "

is it still a valid statement?

m
l
!