New cpu and hard drive

mugetsu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hello,
ok I had an AMD athlon 64x2 4000 and it went out so I took out my hard drive and pit it in a new system. Now I've decied to fix the old one and replaced the cpu with an AMD athlon 64x2 5200 and put a brand new hard drive in as well. Did eveything by tyhe book but once I power it up, doesn't come on. The fans all fire up and the new hard drive but nothing else. Any ideas?

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
reset the bios. there should be a jumper next to the bios battery, check your manual to be SURE its the bios reset jumper. use a screwdriver or any metal really to short it out while the system is running. your system will shut down then remove the screwdriver or what ever you used and hit the power button.

or you can remove the battery and wait 3 minutes. but who likes waiting.

often a processor swap makes the bios angry and since it cant slap you and eat your children, it simply crosses its arms and says NO, i wont boot.

mugetsu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
ok checked mobo aand it supports the cpu and no bios up fro that board. I went through the othere stuff and still nothing. Now I haven't put my dvd/cd drive in yet will taht cause problems? I mean the fans will kick on and if i try to hold the power button to shut it back off, the fans actually speed up, so I just unplug it.