Oct 16, 2006
Hey guys. I have just built a new rig it is as follows:

Asus Sabretooth X58
6GB Patriot Viper 2 RAM
1TB WD HDD SATA III
ASUS 6990 4GB (no overclock)
CORSAIR TX-850w PSU
INTEL I7 CORE 960

Everything has installed fine, windows runs and boots normally - no fan noise when idling or under light load (browing etc) however as soon as I start something which starts to stress the card, I get a fairly obvious 'clicking' noise which constantly comes from the 6990. My 5870 does not make any noise when I swap them over. It is NOT the hard drive. I am 90% sure it is the graphics card. It isn't the fan because I can manually adjust the speed of that, and under high speed it doesnt make the clicking noise. It appears to be only when the card is under stress. It idles at around 40 degrees celcius, under load add about 20-25.
Is this normal or is something wrong with the card?

Thanks,

JT

The vast majority of the time any clicking noise that isn't drive related is almost always the fan. However that noise can also be the power vrm on the card. The 6990 is a time bomb but at least not an instant fail unlike the gtx 590. Does the pitch increase the more you stress the card or is it more or less constant the whole way through?

Darkenraja

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
The pitch changes wit the amount of stress. Example whilst on the menu of Bad Company 2, the clicking noise is fairly distinguishable, and constants. The once I load a mpa, depending on the scenery, the pitch goes to a pretty horridly high sound. It's directly related to stress, however the fan is only making farely nice smooth changes. I can barely hear the fan at all and the temp is staying at a decent level whilst under load

Darkenraja

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Just one last question. While I'm waiting for the RMA to go through - can I continue to use the card? Is this going to damage the card if I continue to use it and bare the noise?

Cans-X

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
So, are you located in the US? I have yet to find a place that is stocking/selling this card. I have an RMA pending with ASUS (going on 5 months now) right now to replace both of my 5970's but it has been a month now since they were released and ASUS still is feeding me a line of crap saying that they have them ordered but don't know when they are getting any in stock.

TRENDING THREADS